Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plans on Moving to FL from Chicago

I'm basically a an incomplete para...I love my state (hate the current governor). It suits all my needs...Tornadoes are rare, hurricane season exciting. I live on a Barrier Island and never evacuated my home.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    It would be pretty tough for quads in Florida. Where are you going to go if a hurricane threatens? Not to the school gym for a few days and sleep on a cot. Mandatory evacuation. What about tornados? You will quickly need to get to a safe area, preferably in a basement or a local school. If your buildings damaged, what then. How long can you hang in 90 degree heat and 85% humidity when the power goes out because of bad weather or just outside on the porch. Minutes. Imagine being a quad during Katrina.
    In Florida quads would mostly stay inside during summer except for very short trips and once November comes, head out. Just the opposite of Chicago but still mostly stuck inside for long periods.

I would not want to live anywhere above the ground floor. Every subsidized apt I have been offered is on the second floor or higher. Too small for lifts and powerchairs anyway. Elevators sometimes have emergency generators but folks are not allowed to use elevators during emergencies. Not for this quad. There are warm places to live without very dangerous weather.
    You dont know much about florida.....Its not bad for quads. 16 yrs, yet to see a mandatory evacuation, which would probably only happen to residents along the beach(east of intracoastal) anyway. We dont get tornadoes. Houses dont have basements in florida. Maybe way up north and central(watertable is less than 5 ft here). Majority dont even have a 2nd fl. I lost power for 3 weeks from Hurricane Wilma. It wasnt fun, but survived. Buy a generator to help that situation, fans, refrigerator,etc. There are weather situations anywhere you live.. People in ny/nj never thought a hurricane would do what it did.

There is almost zero chance of having to evacuate because of a hurricane in Seminole County, where the OP is looking. Central Florida never gets the full effect from a hurricane and no storm surge; although flood damage can still be a problem in some central areas. A hurricane can drop a lot of rain and they seem to do it when they slow down or weaken. Florida does get tornadoes. Tornadoes frequently form around the edges of a hurricane or tropical storm, due to the swirling winds. Most aren’t as serious as those further up north. And they don’t seem to last as long. Dwellings of inferior construction, like trailers, do suffer.

There are a lot of houses and buildings built with their entrances close to ground level. My home has a 4” entrance in front and a small ramp (about 2 steps worth) in the garage. This is very typical in most areas. Basements are rare and expensive, but some homes/buildings do use stem wall construction. These structures are raised a few feet above ground.

I'm a quad, live in Florida for about 15 years... I'm close to the ocean, have been under evacuation warnings and mandatory evacuation a few times, and its not the end of the world, simply book a hotel room for 2 nights inland (not too expensive) and done deal.

BTW only had to go to a Hotel once (during Katrina), and should have stayed home. Roughed it out for Wilma and while I was trapped home for 5 days, it was not something that would kill anyone.

Besides, this is diving paradise! Nothing beats that! (U.S. wise I mean).
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Safety and comfort depends on your assets. If one is applying for subsidized housing there is almost a 0 chance for an apt on the ground floor. Waiting for 10 years and was offered an apt on third floor last fall which was too small for my hospital bed, lift and powerchair. What level you are is critical. A C5/6 Quad living in subsidized housing in a strange area without any family or friends for support is in a shaky sitiuation to begin with. Hoping and waiting for a stranger or some government entity to come and help you in times of need is asking for trouble. Rule 1, you can not depend totaly on your aids. These folks are poorly paid workers, often single mothers who have responsibilities of their own. Ocasionaly you have a good one or two but mostly they are around for a short time. Turnover in home care is over 90%, the person you train today is gone tommorow.

I live in a concrete block,, 2 car garage that I remodeled to be accessible. It is damn near impossible to find dependable, trustworthy contractors to help you and I have lived here 25 years. I am very fortunate that I know how and what needs done but most folks don't and when your a gimp, look the hell out. Imagine being youg and alone.

Hope one dosen't need pain medication, that changes everything.

Private transportation would help a lot but most high quads don't drive or have any. Forget calling the Access bus or van during times of distress. Let's not compare apples and oranges now. Consider the situation.

I have lived in florida before. 1 1/2 years in Orlando in early 70's when it was easy to get around and lots of housing available. Great but a tornado just missed us where we lived in a trailer east of town. 11 months in Belleair Bluffs and I saw some extremely violent weather. Built a house designed to be almost hurricaine proof. I would feel a lot safer in that one but it cost a bunch. Not many young, complete high quads buying these unless a huge insurance settlement or rich dadies. Wish for both.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your posts. I really appreciate it, the reason I picked Florida over Nevada is
    #1. I will be moving with my mother and she works at a grocery store called Aldi, She has been working there for over 10 years and plans to continue working there so she can keep her insurance and benefits.
    #2. It is harder to find a job in Las Vegas where I plan to move to. And it's a desert so they hot weather gets way too high in the summer.
    #3. We will be looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom house. Before we can buy anything.
    #4. I am basically stuck 24 hours at home in Chicago because of the weather. I will just love to go out on an 80° day and just spend some time outside.

I prefer heat than cold. I will be rather wear T-shirt and go into an air-conditioned room other than wear a Hoody and a hat While sitting next to the heater.
    I just have to find out about benefits like Medicaid and Medicare, what's covered? And what's not? Here in Illinois I don't have to pay a penny for medical bills.

If any of you guys have any more good information please add some, I really appreciate it. Thanks so much again guys
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

While Florida has no income tax it does tax "intangibles" like stocks, bonds and annunities. If you have income from such sources or a trust based on these you should talk to a tax advisor before moving.

We just got back from Hollywood Beach and a sunburn I wasn't expecting. Nice days, cool nights but overly air conditioned hotel room. No matter how we played the thermostat the high seemed to be 72. In 2 weeks we'll throw the windows open and the A/C gets tapped over 80 to keep us at 78. Comfy because of all the windows and a nice breeze over the lake on the deck.

Oh, paratransit or accessible taxis tend to be centered on the airports or cruise industry. When we spent some time in Pensacola several years back I didn't see anything public and accessible.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Mac85,

the Orlando CIL will help answer all questions regarding the assistance you can apply for and FSCIRC is another place for good info.

https://www.cilorlando.org/
    http://www.fscirc.com/

do paras pay property tax in florida i thought i read somewere quads didnt but wasnt sure if paras did
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I believe paras pay a portion same as other 'partially' disabled people. I don't write it I just repeat it...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.