Thread: Meet the Scientists 2013 at RIRC

Thank you for posting Grammy. I was waiting for the video.

That was a terrible presentation. I learned absolutely nothing about what the scientists have been up to in the last year. There were no good questions asked, just stupid ones. I'm sure that makes me look like an ass but I'm being honest.

That is what happens when you let the SCI audience dictate the course of the conversation.

SCI is a dumb man's condition. Have you read this board? Of course the audience blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    Perhaps they changed their meeting style a bit to Q & A because we pretty much had a lot of their scientists present their research work in November at W2W 2012. They probably thought that folks had watched those presentations and would formulate questions off their most recent public presentations.

For Working 2 Walk 2013, we'll again provide key links into the researchers work that are presenting so everyone can be familiar with the research and have their questions formulated and ready for the Q & A's that take place in the breakout sessions after the presentations.

Quote Originally Posted by rjg
    SCI is a dumb man's condition. Have you read this board? Of course the audience blew it.

That was a terrible presentation. I learned absolutely nothing about what the scientists have been up to in the last year. There were no good questions asked, just stupid ones. I'm sure that makes me look like an ass but I'm being honest.

That is what happens when you let the SCI audience dictate the course of the conversation.
    Please, these comments are inappropriate. You may think that you know so much now that you can now say that other people are asking dumb questions. Everybody's questions, including yours, were dumb at the beginning. Please do not discourage other people from asking questions by calling them dumb.

Wise.

So then we are all dumb?! Its clever to do that because when you have watched the full video Dr. Stewart told us how important our input is.......even for there own research.Im not sure if you know what you are talking about...........

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Please, these comments are inappropriate. You may think that you know so much now that you can now say that other people are asking dumb questions. Everybody's questions, including yours, were dumb at the beginning. Please do not discourage other people from asking questions by calling them dumb.

Wise.

I know very well not to “measure others by the yardstick of my years.” I fully acknowledge that I have asked dumb questions when newly injured, and may again in the future. If the audience was full of newly injured SCI, then I do apologize. I’m not picking on any one question but I’m judging them in their entirety.

I don't want to discourage anyone from asking a question for fear of being called dumb. Please, ask away. I'm just concerned about the SCI population at large. As a whole, the spinal cord injury community is rather ignorant. Not admitting there is a problem only perpetuates it. False hope and overly optimistic predictions do no favors.

I’m not speaking for everyone; there are many well-informed people on these boards. I commend the people who actually read this site trying to learn more, they are in the minority when it comes to the SCI population.

Quote Originally Posted by KK11 View Post
    So then we are all dumb?! Its clever to do that because when you have watched the full video Dr. Stewart told us how important our input is.......even for there own research.Im not sure if you know what you are talking about...........
    KK11,

I think that is possible that in the close future, likely, you will be disapponted too by watching a video like this.. unless it is intended just for an audience of newly injured people.
    If that was the case you can't expect that newly non educated SCI people can drive a conversation by asking questions.. if they don't know the subject it's difficult to ask questions.

To be practical and straight forward I have to consider the possibility that there was nothing new and good to present so they tried this approach.

A junior communication person could have suggested a better way to do it. IMO.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

Wise.
    Wise,

I understand that as an administrator you have to say that, but the reality is that progress in SCI research has been slow and disappointing for the ones of us that have been following SCI research for years.

IMO that is not just because of lack of $$$$ but also because of very unefficent use of the money available.
    So how can we show our disappointment hoping to have an impact for the better?
    In my experience with kind words and being politically correct you have no impact.
    I have tried the kind manners for years and all I got has been people trying to take advantage of me.

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 04-18-2013 at 08:31 PM.