Thread: dental problem

dental problem

Is true that in my post SCI years I didn't make any visit to dentists, but now I have no choice. In the last 3 days I had big pain in the upper 3rd molar area. Now I have no pain, but when I press with my tongue I can feel some sore. I assume that if I go to the dentist now, she will put me on antibiotics.

The problem is that because of my many and redundant UTI's I took a loot of antibiotics so the question is what do I have to tell to the dentist when he will recommend me an antibiotic? I was a big user of Ciprofloxacin during the days on which I had to wait for the right antibiotic for my UTI so I assume that Ciprofloxacin is not a good candidate for my mouth sore.

Also, do you khow how the quads manage with the dental chair?
    This signature left intentionally blank.

I just got back from the dentist. Transferring to the dental chair was no problem as I can elevate my chair high enough to slide down into the chair. When leaving the chair, I lower mine and get them to raise theirs.

Anamoxin (sp?) is what my dentists used even though I was on Levaquin for acute bronchitis. You can try rinsing your mouth with warm salty water for comfort and Peroxide or Vetericyn to help eliminate bacteria/germs.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

My experience in root canals for myself, Dad and peridontal work for the spouse is dentists like Amoxicillin or other penicillin based antibiotics. You might ask your regular doctor if she/he has any preferences mainly in those she'd prefer not be used.

I found our new dentist by asking people in a local paralysis support group and am very pleased with the amount of room and their willingness to help get me adjusted in the chair to my comfort.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

The dentists select the antibiotic on the basis of organisms that commonly cause oral infections. As has been stated, amoxicillin or other penicillins are the ones usually used. The sad fact is that there is little or no evidence supporting this practice. Most dentists use very effective pain control meds. My wife has had a half dozen root canals has has not complained about discomfort. I am a quad and have had 3 dentists during my post-injury period. I have found dentist offices to be among the most accessible and the staff most helpful. I used to be able to transfer to their chair by myself because it can be raised or lowered to the best height. I cannot do that anymore and my dentist and one of the hygienists lift me in and out of their chair. They are glad to be helpful. I wish MD practices were as accommodating.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Whether you go on an antibiotic or not will depend on what the dentist diagnoses. Let him/her know your medical history and they will take it from there.
    Rinsing with warm salt water does help with the pain.
    GOod luck!
    CKF

cypresss-

No problems transferring as noted above, the dental chair is adjustable (I'm a C4-5 quad), also you can remove the arms on my dentists chair. I use a transfer board and easier than getting in bed at hone!

For normal checkup and cleaning I don't take ab's as they are not needed or recommended by my doc.

Last time I had to replace a filling my doctor gave me a Zithromax Z-Pak (azithromycin). No problems with any infections.

Thank you so much for all the value info and feedback!
    This signature left intentionally blank.