Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa Fé / New Mexico

Santa Fé / New Mexico

Hey guys,

I really wanted to travel to Santa Fe before my accident. But now Im sitting 1,5 years in a wheelchair because of a motorcycle accident. I finally came to the decission that I still want to try it even with a wheelchair (Im living in germany so its a long trip). So now I want to ask you some questions.......

Someone allready traveled to Santa Fe? How wheelchair accessible is this city??Does the heat blows your mind or is it ´´ok´´? Do you guys had problems with the altitude??

Thank you and I hope someone can help me

It has been a while since I was there and was not using a chair when I was so can't comment much on accessibility.

Heat is not bad. At 5000ft, it does not get too hot. Also, 5000ft is not too bad for altitude. Most people have no issue except maybe feeling a little out of breath.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Santa Fe is in the mountains, so it may get hot during the day in the summer, but cools off at night. I like to stay at La Posta. It's an old hotel so it's marginally accessible. But it's right on the square so you can wheel everywhere. It's got great paid parking in a parking garage, and there is a handicap spot on the street right outside that is free but often taken. The old part of the city has curb cuts everywhere, but it's hilly so you will get a workout. There are newer hotels, but they don't have the character that La Posta has.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Boy View Post
    Santa Fe is in the mountains, so it may get hot during the day in the summer, but cools off at night. I like to stay at La Posta. It's an old hotel so it's marginally accessible. But it's right on the square so you can wheel everywhere. It's got great paid parking in a parking garage, and there is a handicap spot on the street right outside that is free but often taken. The old part of the city has curb cuts everywhere, but it's hilly so you will get a workout. There are newer hotels, but they don't have the character that La Posta has.
    Well, thanks very much for the info. Im looking for this hotel!

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Boy View Post
    I like to stay at La Posta. It's an old hotel so it's marginally accessible. But it's right on the square so you can wheel everywhere. It's got great paid parking in a parking garage, and there is a handicap spot on the street right outside that is free but often taken...There are newer hotels, but they don't have the character that La Posta has.
    Do you by any chance mean La Fonda? It's the only old hotel on the town square, and it does indeed have a large attached parking garage. Here is the website. Another lovely old hotel, two blocks away from La Fonda, is La Posada. My favorite hotel is Hotel Santa Fe, which is close to downtown and very atmospheric and comfortable. All of these hotels have excellent food and pretty good accessibility.

My husband and I lived in Santa Fe in the 1980s and it's a gorgeous place. It's become extremely crowded, so getting around on the narrow streets can be frustrating - but it's a paradise for art lovers and food connoisseurs, and most places are accessible (though some of the historic restaurants are a challenge, due to their small size and cramped quarters). Be sure and see the museums, they're wonderful and very accessible.

Days can be quite hot in Santa Fe, sometimes approaching 100; nights are cooler, but still warm. There's usually a nice breeze, and there used to be a nice rainy period toward the end of summer - but the Southwest has been in a drought for several years, and Santa Fe's been in the midst of it. So expect plenty of sunshine when you come.

Enjoy your visit!

Edited to add: If you live near sea level, you'll definitely notice the altitude - Santa Fe is at 7260 feet, which does pose a problem for some people.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 04-17-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Addition
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Sorry, I did mean La Fonda

Such a beautiful hotel! The main restaurant used to make wonderful blue corn pancakes - ah, great memories.

Hmmm, I did a bit of traveling in NM two years back. Sun was hot, so be sure wear a hat and put on sunscreen! I was also SOB from the altitude. Traveling w/o power chair made it worse -- won't do that again! Took a few days to adjust before it got better.

Most restaurants we stayed in and places we visited were accessible. One more thing, you probably need to drink more water at higher altitudes.

Have fun!

Even the Sandia Peak tram in Albuquerque is accessible. Only 50 miles from Santa Fe. I was better acclimated to the altitude by then, but still sucking air.

I lived in Albuquerque for 10 years before relocating to the East Coast. If you make the trip to Santa Fe and miss Albuquerque, you'd be missing out on some good stuff. The tram ride to Sandia Peak is awesome. One of my best friends (and first caregiver) has a house in the foothills and her view is absolutely breathtaking, especially during and after sunset. We call it the million-dollar view.

It does get hot, but with the low humidity it's much easier to deal with than the southeast. I hope you make the trip.

Don't miss Taos while you're in northern New Mexico, either. Santa Fe is about an hour's drive from both Albuquerque and Taos (there's a longer route to Taos from Santa Fe that takes 2.5 hours and it's beautiful, but quite tiring if you're going to make it a day trip). There's so much to see and do in northern New Mexico, and the scenery is spectacular.