Thread: Gallbladder out after injury

Question Gallbladder out after injury

I have to have my gallbladder taken out. I have read that this can cause issues with the bowel. Specificly loose stools to diarrhea. I was wondering if anyone has had their gallbladder taken out since their injury and how it affected their bowel program. Currently I use one magic bullet every other morning and rarely ever have an accident. Any information would be helpful, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    I have to have my gallbladder taken out. I have read that this can cause issues with the bowel. Specificly loose stools to diarrhea. I was wondering if anyone has had their gallbladder taken out since their injury and how it affected their bowel program. Currently I use one magic bullet every other morning and rarely ever have an accident. Any information would be helpful, thank you.
    I had mine taken out 2 days ago. The surgeon said I would not have any bowel issues and could eat whatever I wanted. I had diarrhea this evening but I think that is because I was constipated and drank 2 doses of Miralax, took Senna and Colace and had a magic bullet...I usually don't use anything.

Hopefully it changes. I've talked to numerous other people who said it had no effect on their bowels.

Are you having it done laparoscopically?

Jason

I had mine out and it did not cause any problems except with dairy. For the first month or after its removal I could not eat dairy without having bowel issues.

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    I was one of those lucky ones that got the really bad diarrhea after I had it removed. I drink a scoop of Questran in the morning. It is prescription. Since you are a low injury like me, it may effect you differently. I don't do a bowel program since I had it out. I can feel a pressure sensation when I need to go though. I had a really tough time right after I got my gallbladder out. Greasy foods still trigger it. I find I can eat foods that are normally greasy if I cook them at home.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I will be having it lapriscopic, will have my bladder botox done at the same time also. I am worried it is going to affect my bowel program, I guess I will not be going anywhere for some time afterwards til I know how things will affect me. I dont have the ability to hold it if I feel like something is going to happen. I just hope my body adjusts quickly and it goes back to being normal for me. I am thinking I may have to change my program to every day, at least at first.

You might talk to your doctor about a scoop of Cholestryamine (Questran) a day for a few weeks. It is often prescribed for those with IBS-diahhrea dominant. It attacks the fats you eat and that is normally the problem most my friends have had. Even without, a month seems to be the furthest out diet is a problem. Obviously your milage may vary.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.