Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bombing

Unbelievable!

Unbelievable!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...ital-arteries/

By SYDNEY LUPKIN
    Apr 22, 2013 3:12pm

ATF and FBI agents check suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for explosives and also give him medical attention after he was apprehended in Watertown, Mass., April 19, 2013. (Credit: Massachusetts State Police/AP Photo)

The bullet that sliced through the neck of Boston Marathon bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev likely missed his major arteries and windpipe, experts said.

Otherwise, he would have been dead within minutes.

“If you think about it, [the neck has] got a lot of very important structures in a very small, confined space,” said Dr. Elliott Haut, a professor of surgery at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

About 20 percent of the blood from the heart goes to the brain via the carotid artery, which is about as thick as a thumb and is located in the neck . Haut said injuring it could cause a patient to bleed out in about five minutes. The jugular vein, which carries used blood back down from the brain, is also in the neck and could be life-threatening if damaged.

“When we talk about survivability, the main thing we’re talking about is bleeding,” said Dr. Gaelyn Garrett of the Vanderbilt Voice Center, many of whose patients have self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the head.The fact that he was able to climb out of the boat makes you think that he did not have an acutely life threatening wound.”

Tsarnaev, 19, was taken into custody Friday night after being cornered in a backyard boat in Watertown. He was bleeding heavily and a federal complaint said he was wounded in the head, the neck, legs and hand.
    Investigators have not been able to determine whether head and neck wounds were self-inflicted, sources told ABC News.

Garrett said patients survive suicide attempts “more often than you’d think.” They often have injuries to their eyes, jaw bones, mouths, throats, tongues and vocal chords, requiring them to undergo rehabilitation. Carotid artery injuries can also result in brain damage because blood can’t carry oxygen to the brain.

Since the windpipe is also located in the neck, Haut said trauma doctors are trained to check airways as soon as the patient arrives in the trauma bay.

“The first thing we think about is whether this person is able to breathe,” Garrett said, adding that breathing can be interrupted by blood in the airway, nerve damage and swelling.

Doctors then assess whether the patient can swallow and communicate, she said.

Tsarnaev has begun communicating with law enforcement in writing, sources told ABC News, but it’s not clear whether this is necessary because of a neck injury or because he is on a ventilator.

Ti
    Credits: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...ital-arteries/
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 04-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have encountered this and other people with disabilities have experienced it too. The ones who promote that idea are mostly those lhe believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible. They support it with select quotes from the Bible, e.g., God smites people as punishment for sins, or for some, even sins of the parents. The sinning might not be obvious but God knows. I guess God resembles Santa Clause or vice versa. We need to pray for forgiveness. If we genuinely beg for forgiveness we might be allowed to pass through the pearly gates for whatever.
    I've heard that these injuries could be a part of "god's great plan,"
    but I don't think I've ever heard someone claim that our injuries are
    the consequence of sin. However, I do recall a cc member (RIP) once
    claimed that suffering, generally, is punishment for the "original sin."

I'm not counting the Westboro nuts, either.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    CR wasn't a terrorist who blew off bombs in crowds and killed and maimed innocents. That's the distinction.
    That was his point.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    He was cute and had a nice body. I know, I'm a sick fuck. I see a guy's stomach and go gaga. Oh, well! I've been denied a lot of man meat in my life. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have encountered this and other people with disabilities have experienced it too.
    Bingo. It's been a while - but I've experienced this too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I'm afraid that Canada will have its day. Only a matter of time.
    And ironic that here we are:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04..._hp_ref=canada

TORONTO, Cananda - Two terror suspects who were arrested for allegedly plotting to attack a Via passenger train received "direction and guidance" from al-Qaida elements in Iran, the RCMP said Monday.

The suspects — identified as Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, — were arrested Monday morning in Montreal and Toronto.

"While the RCMP believed the accused had the capacity and intent to carry out these criminal acts, there was no imminent threat to the general public, rail employees, train passengers or infrastructure," RCMP Assistant Commissioner James Malizia said at a news conference.

Dubbed "Project Smooth," the investigation was part of a cross-border operation involving Canadian law enforcement agencies, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Malizia said protecting Canada's national security entails the "awareness and active engagement" of all citizens.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Yes. With his Mom and sister.

Poor little cuties.
    His sister was an Irish dancer and lost her leg as well. I believe the mother was injured too. Very tragic.

A friend that I spent the weekend with just started her job with Via Rail today. Via was their target. We'll have to start getting body scanned to get on the train now!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    And ironic that here we are:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04..._hp_ref=canada

TORONTO, Cananda - Two terror suspects who were arrested for allegedly plotting to attack a Via passenger train received "direction and guidance" from al-Qaida elements in Iran, the RCMP said Monday.

The suspects — identified as Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, — were arrested Monday morning in Montreal and Toronto.

"While the RCMP believed the accused had the capacity and intent to carry out these criminal acts, there was no imminent threat to the general public, rail employees, train passengers or infrastructure," RCMP Assistant Commissioner James Malizia said at a news conference.

Dubbed "Project Smooth," the investigation was part of a cross-border operation involving Canadian law enforcement agencies, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Malizia said protecting Canada's national security entails the "awareness and active engagement" of all citizens.

Hardly anyone takes the train anyway ... aren't they struggling financially? Surprised they still hire! Glad they were caught though ... wasn't there a training camp up past Toronto if I recall? It was also busted up by the RCMP whom I always criticize .. but someone is doing something right.

Googled it. Yup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_On...terrorism_plot

I can't imagine having a child or family in this mess of a world right now. Good thing it never worked out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    The older one is said to have been strapped w/ explosives. Whatever he had in mind, I doubt convo was part of it. He was full-on jihadist.
    In that case, why didn't he use it in a crowd of people...or even just to off himself after he was taken down? He was missing the motivation to kill himself. Something is wrong with that scenario (in my opinion).

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama