Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another pressure sore

Another pressure sore

Another pressure sore. It's really really minor, and won't take but two weeks probably to heal, but it's frustrating because I'm not at home at all this week (business travel, I'm not home as I post this) and he is stuck in bed, bored to tears with no one to talk to even, just our caregiver when he pops in now and then. Then I'll be gone all of next week too (more business travel.... don't get me started on my hideous travel schedule, I could go on and on and on) so he is basically stuck for the next two weeks not able to interact on either the computer (computer not set up for him in bed) or in real life aside from periodic times with our caregiver. I'm going to ask some friends to come over after work, but that won't be more than once or twice, and just an hour or two.

Poor Chad.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

So sorry to hear this. Really hard for both of you. I would feel the same way being away as you do -- it's really hard not being there to help.

I know you have probably thought of this, but at least for boredom and staying connected, can Chad use an iPad? Lot's of good apps and stuff that make it easier than a computer while in bed. Also something even the more non-techie helpers can often deal with.

Thinking of you both.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We have an iPad .... I wonder if our c/g could somehow set it up for him. Hmmmmm.

I thought you would have one. I don't think it's a big request that they set it up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    We have an iPad .... I wonder if our c/g could somehow set it up for him. Hmmmmm.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

It's just that whole he-can't-move-at-all-ok-just-his-head part that makes it difficult. I'll tell him to pester our c/g and see what they can scare up. Will give them something to do at the minimum. On the down side, the online game he likes to play requires Flash, which the iPad does not support. That's a huge downside because he is absolutely addicted to that game! lol

It's because he has to use a mouthstick, and I take our laptop on trips, there is no computer to take into the bedroom.

I'm hopeless on games and stuff on the iPad. Like you, I'm a care partner and don't have the time to figure it out. Enlist a techno teenager is my advice, and have them teach the c/g. Lots of free food/drinks and maybe a subscription to one of the games to make it work might do the trick. Just an idea.

It's just that whole he-can't-move-at-all-ok-just-his-head part that makes it difficult. I'll tell him to pester our c/g and see what they can scare up. Will give them something to do at the minimum. On the down side, the online game he likes to play requires Flash, which the iPad does not support. That's a huge downside because he is absolutely addicted to that game! lol

It's because he has to use a mouthstick, and I take our laptop on trips, there is no computer to take into the bedroom.
    Well, I think you need to buy him an early father's day present of a laptop lol

I can't get the hang of an IPad either but I am trying to learn.

I hate to hear he has a sore. Hopefully it will heal quick.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Sending healing thoughts your way. And at the same time thinking I better get ready for a grounding...it's bound to happen eventually.

Hopefully his wound heals up & he can get up...I know how not being able to get up b/c of wound problems is very frustrating.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust