Thread: Accessible hotels NYC for artsy types

Accessible hotels NYC for artsy types

We are taking our first long trip since injury in 2009 in August from Amsterdam to Chicago and then a remote area in the U.P. of Michigan to stay at my sisters lodge with my entire family.

I'm an AB care partner and would like to make this as nice as possibly for my husband. Visiting the in-laws is challenging enough, but add to that we will be going to a rustic log cabin in the middle of no where.

My husband would like to break the trip up and go to New York. He has never been, but I used to work/stay there quite often when I lived in Boston, but that was the late 80's!

I could use some help finding a an accessible hotel for an artsy person. His first request was Hotel Chelsea, but unfortunately they are closed for renovations (truth be told, that is probably a good thing, because it is quite pricey).

Does anyone know of a smallish hotel, under $200 per night, in SoHo, Tribeca, Chelsea etc., that is accessible with a roll-in shower? We will only be there 2-3 nights, and also jetlagging, so location is key.

My husband is a former theatre producer and gallery owner from Amsterdam. I'm looking for something more on the off-beat funky eclectic side, not the broadway and big gallery scene.

Any input would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by elarson; 04-16-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have no recommendations but damn, knowing you're going to be on our side of the pond and not being able to meet you is a bummer!!!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Who knows, if I get this trip right, maybe our next trip will be to the atlantic SE area. Fancy us on your doorstep (just kidding)? My biggest fear is that if I don't get this right, he won't ever want to go to the US, even though I know he loves the "can do" spirit once he is there. It's not helped the cause with all of the crazy gun violence. He asked me if we should rent a kevlar vest! To be honest, I had not rebuttal for that.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    I have no recommendations but damn, knowing you're going to be on our side of the pond and not being able to meet you is a bummer!!!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

jetlag is more of an issue flying west -> east.

I'd ask stephen212 about NYC.

I don't live live in NY but I used to work with hotels there. Some of the more high design hotel brands are:
    W Hotels
    Hotel Gansevoort
    The Standard
    Kimpton Hotels has a lot of boutique style hotels

Check tripadvisor.com for reviews and traveler photos but in the end you will have to call the hotel to make sure the accessible room has the features you need to help keep the "surprises" down.

Here's to a good trip!