Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't mean to be nosey but......

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You should. Get one of those percentage back (I like Chase Freedom) cards and buy anything and everything with it. 1% minimum cash back, it adds up.

Debit cards are scary. I've had to have CC numbers changed 4 times already due to fraud. If that fraud hit my checking account...I'd be on the hook for it. The CC company eating the fraud is much better.
    Do you pay for everything with your CC and then turn around and immediately pay your CC off with your debit card?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I've had USAA for over 20 years. When I retired from the Army, they did not raise my rates even though I am technically unemployed. That may be just a specific company policy.
    Some of the criteria's used such as employment is only used to place you in the right tier. The better of the tier, the lower of premium. USAA have very good rates. Hard to beat. And not all companies usethe same criteria's. That why one person might place better with one company and not the other.
    Last edited by TheRainman; 04-18-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I don't do credit. No credit card, 1 debit. I save up and pay cash. My Dad was a financial wiz and before he died he told me "You'll never be rich enough for a credit card or a car payment. So don't do it." Also I'm widowed. Nobody will marry me to lower my car insurance premiums. (This is an assumption. Nobody asks me on dates so I assume marriage is off the calendar.) I don't own a home b/c I don't want to be tied down w/ real estate and the maintenance would be a huge chore for me alone. Getting rid of my house in OK aged me 5 yrs LOL. I hope to rent a condo in Santa Fe when I get there. I worked religiously until I became disabled. I don't have the dexterity to do my old job. Have done some pretty impressive volunteer type stuff, if I do say so myself. If I found a job I'd lose medicare and I doubt ppl are lining up to insure my medical needs. So am I just screwed when it comes to car insurance?

How do I get the damage my kids did to my insurance rating cleared?
    Were your kids listed on your policy, or did you loan them your car?

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Do you pay for everything with your CC and then turn around and immediately pay your CC off with your debit card?
    Yep, no balance. Pay the card online via the checking account. Have no debit card associated with any account

Yep, no balance. Pay the card online via the checking account. Have no debit card associated with any account
    I also pay cc online. I have debit card I do no use online; however, my bank has always covered any problems with either my debit card (I think there's only been 1 in 30 yrs) or my account (due to a person w/similar name). I think checking accounts daily is important. I also have my 2 cc accounts set up to notify me via e when a charge occurs.

btw, interesting thing I've been told along the way: credit rating ppl don't actually like it if you do pay off cc every month. and, betheny, my son is on my auto ins. so far, his record, my employment or marital status has NOT affected my rates. the latter 2 I don't think I've even been asked. but my homeowner/auto ins are bundled, so I dunno if that matters.

I goofed and left off NOT affected. sorry.
    Last edited by cass; 04-20-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    btw, interesting thing I've been told along the way: credit rating ppl don't actually like it if you do pay off cc every month. .
    I heard that too, but something interesting came up the other day. Now the last loan records I have were all closed out back in '03, everything since then were just 0 balance CC stuff. I was at a car dealer and they ran a credit report with the 'FICO' scoring thing, I guess to make sure I wasn't going to write 'em a bad check or something. 815. I was surprised as I'm not really paying any debt for the last 10 years.

I heard that too, but something interesting came up the other day. Now the last loan records I have were all closed out back in '03, everything since then were just 0 balance CC stuff. I was at a car dealer and they ran a credit report with the 'FICO' scoring thing, I guess to make sure I wasn't going to write 'em a bad check or something. 815. I was surprised as I'm not really paying any debt for the last 10 years.
    Outstanding credit available is a big portion of the rating system.

ppl asking to see my credit report dropped my rating from 815 to 720 during my home refi yr or so ago. only for a couple months, but it pissed me off.

btw, I made a mistake in post above. I corrected it: marital status, employment has NOT affected my credit.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    ppl asking to see my credit report dropped my rating from 815 to 720 during my home refi yr or so ago. only for a couple months, but it pissed me off.

btw, I made a mistake in post above. I corrected it: marital status, employment has NOT affected my credit.

Credit inquiring don't have that type of effect on the score. Taking out the refinancing loan could. And when you inquire for a mortgage loan or refi. You have a 10 or 12 day grace period. Meaning any number of mortgage companies can run a credit check and it only counts as one as long as it's in the grace period. And the hit is only a few points. And btw, insurance inquiring's are considered soft hit and don't effect your score at all.

I only pay 380 / 6 months full coverage for my van insurance and that includes my conversions so I'm very happy with it