Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't mean to be nosey but......

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Does NO insurance count?

Sadly.

I'd hate to be responsible for someone else's injury and have no real way to help them, let alone go bankrupt because of it.

I'm not a fan of the insurance industry, but it is what it is.

scott, I was injured by a motorist while sitting at a red light. my vehicle was stopped, he was going 80 plus according to police report. my headrest was bent 90 degrees back. he was driving a van registered to his father. the max on the ins was 100k which I partially got. i'm just saying that even if one has no fault in the accident, insurance doesn't go very far. 10k/week for 6 months and then I had to dump all my assets and still owe the state of CA almost 40k. and I had work ins as an engineer. it is hard to figure out ins, except to say they are a business.

That's why if you can afford it you should carry un/underinsured motorist to cover yourself and others in your vehicles in case the driver that hits you not careering enough coverage for your injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    That's why if you can afford it you should carry un/underinsured motorist to cover yourself and others in your vehicles in case the driver that hits you not careering enough coverage for your injuries.
    actually, that didn't help much. I've always had it. I think too many ppl don't understand ins. coverage. I, not only had full auto ins., I had full work ins. as an engineer. in the end, I still had to sell everything and go on medi-Cal temporarily and pay them 40k.

btw, isn't uninsured motorist is required, I think. and it helps little anyway.
    Last edited by cass; 04-17-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    actually, that didn't help much. I've always had it. I think too many ppl don't understand ins. coverage. I, not only had full auto ins., I had full work ins. as an engineer. in the end, I still had to sell everything and go on medi-Cal temporarily and pay them 40k.

btw, isn't uninsured motorist is required, I think. and it helps little anyway.
    No pip personal injury protection is required. Uninsured motorist is optional, but you need to sign a form not to take it.

I think it's true most folks don't pay much mind to how insurance works. Seems satisfying the legal minimums with the lowest premium is the most prevelant goal. Nevermind single policy limits on the legal minimums don't add up to much, in the end. Why I recommend stacking them if you have multiple drivers and vehicles, if at all possible, and buying coverage based on the best you can afford, not legal minimum requirements.

Generally, folks wants to put in little and take out lots. Same with health ins. The expectation is pretty close to any premium paid should equal unlimited benefits.

Never going to happen, because it violates the simple math on how to keep a business afloat.

Insurance as a retail business is hopelessly mired in conflicts of interest, IMO, and the insured bear that burden and cost.

Insurance is one of those things best served without a profit motive, or being nationalized, completely, IMO.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

my ins has been very reasonable, I think, with Farm Bureau, 2 vehicles including my van with lift, hand controls etc. until last year when they added on a approx $5OO/6 mos. Is that reasonable and customary?

I've had USAA for over 20 years. When I retired from the Army, they did not raise my rates even though I am technically unemployed. That may be just a specific company policy.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Your credit score is the most important part of your premium amount other than accidents and tickets. Somebody with a great score can have two tickets and it won't hurt their premium much. Then someone with a very bad score with no accidents and tickets and everything else the same will pay four or five times more. Now all states don't allow credit scores like Florida does.

Something that's new that the insurance companies started is grading pip claims differently now. Before they didn't count them against the premium. Now they count them and penalize you very hard on them. Now in Florida if you have 2 pip claims no matter your fault or not your going to have a very hard time finding someone to insure you. Most of the big companies won't touch you. And if you have 1 pip and its over 2000.00 and you didn't go to the er your done.
    I don't do credit. No credit card, 1 debit. I save up and pay cash. My Dad was a financial wiz and before he died he told me "You'll never be rich enough for a credit card or a car payment. So don't do it." Also I'm widowed. Nobody will marry me to lower my car insurance premiums. (This is an assumption. Nobody asks me on dates so I assume marriage is off the calendar.) I don't own a home b/c I don't want to be tied down w/ real estate and the maintenance would be a huge chore for me alone. Getting rid of my house in OK aged me 5 yrs LOL. I hope to rent a condo in Santa Fe when I get there. I worked religiously until I became disabled. I don't have the dexterity to do my old job. Have done some pretty impressive volunteer type stuff, if I do say so myself. If I found a job I'd lose medicare and I doubt ppl are lining up to insure my medical needs. So am I just screwed when it comes to car insurance?

How do I get the damage my kids did to my insurance rating cleared?
    Last edited by betheny; 04-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I don't do credit. No credit card, 1 debit. I save up and pay cash.
    You should. Get one of those percentage back (I like Chase Freedom) cards and buy anything and everything with it. 1% minimum cash back, it adds up.

Debit cards are scary. I've had to have CC numbers changed 4 times already due to fraud. If that fraud hit my checking account...I'd be on the hook for it. The CC company eating the fraud is much better.