Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting FES routine 10 yrs post

Starting FES routine 10 yrs post

I've got to trial a FES bike a few times, but nothing consistent. I'm 10 yrs post and will most likely be starting a regular program of it. Am I crazy/silly to start it now?

Sometimes I think 10 yrs is so long, but it went by so fast. I eat extremely well and exercise regularly. I'm in good shape and I think it will help me be even healthier. 10 yrs really isn't that long though, is it? I know people that started using one much later than that. I'm limber enough and my bones are good. I just feel weird and almost guilty like it should be for the newbies...but I'm only 30 yrs old and that is still young too. Sometimes I wonder why I invest so much into my own health when I see many others who don't.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I have one and try to get on it at least 4 times a week. I have 20 leads that need to be placed and sometimes can be a pain.

I would start out slow maybe 10-15 minutes and increase over time. I think your question also has to deal with how much tone you have to start with. I got mine one year after my injury and we started very slow and worked up. I could tell when my legs were getting over worked.
    Call RTI they have people that you can skype with and they will help.
    Last edited by cfx; 04-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Heck no november, I was 20 years post when I started using FES back 12 years ago and I did fine with it. I stopped using FES last fall and then ended up with a blood clot in my leg. I really wonder had I still been doing the FES once every 2 days like I was if this would have happened. I'm about to get back into it myself. It's been 2 months now since the blood clot and my leg seems ok so I think I'm fine to start on with my program again. I use to feel a lot better doing that combined with hot tub therapy and stretching while in the hot tub. Gonna take me a while to build back up again after not using the bike for the past 5 months, but I'll do it. Just go for it!!! once every couple of days for 1 hour at a time and you will slowly progress up to higher levels. I use to be on level 3/8 fairly regularly. Just start out at first for the first couple of weeks on 0/8 so the duration of you're workouts will be longer before the machine shuts down due to your muscles being spent. After a couple weeks set it to 1/8 and so on. Good luck.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Heck no november, I was 20 years post when I started using FES back 12 years ago and I did fine with it. I stopped using FES last fall and then ended up with a blood clot in my leg. I really wonder had I still been doing the FES once every 2 days like I was if this would have happened. I'm about to get back into it myself. It's been 2 months now since the blood clot and my leg seems ok so I think I'm fine to start on with my program again. I use to feel a lot better doing that combined with hot tub therapy and stretching while in the hot tub. Gonna take me a while to build back up again after not using the bike for the past 5 months, but I'll do it. Just go for it!!! once every couple of days for 1 hour at a time and you will slowly progress up to higher levels. I use to be on level 3/8 fairly regularly. Just start out at first for the first couple of weeks on 0/8 so the duration of you're workouts will be longer before the machine shuts down due to your muscles being spent. After a couple weeks set it to 1/8 and so on. Good luck.
    Thanks Curt. Would you need to make sure your clot is dissolved before riding again? I would worry that riding and stim could dislodge it. Did you notice that your legs shrank from not riding for 5mnths?

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I have one and try to get on it at least 4 times a week. I have 20 leads that need to be placed and sometimes can be a pain.

I would start out slow maybe 10-15 minutes and increase over time. I think your question also has to deal with how much tone you have to start with. I got mine one year after my injury and we started very slow and worked up. I could tell when my legs were getting over worked.
    Call RTI they have people that you can skype with and they will help.
    Why so many leads? Where are you placing all of the pads? I do have a lot of tone and take nothing for it. The one thing that worries me is I can get a little light headed riding because my blood pressure drops [normal for me]. I think one time I used it the PT jacked the stim up too high and I felt crappy riding.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post

Why so many leads? Where are you placing all of the pads? I do have a lot of tone and take nothing for it. The one thing that worries me is I can get a little light headed riding because my blood pressure drops [normal for me]. I think one time I used it the PT jacked the stim up too high and I felt crappy riding.
    I have 20 leads. 2 on calfs( either gastrocnemius or tibialis Anterior) 2 on hams 2 on quads 2 on gluteus and 2 on either the abdomen or erector spinae depending on which muscles I want to work.
    I have two programs on the bike for either abdomen and gastrocs or Tibialis and spinae erectors. I bought a couple RT50's to use more muscles per bke ride.

Like I said before go slow. Set the Resistant low and the RPM's 30-45. I had problems getting dizzy standing before I started using the bike now I can stand for an hour.
    A good ride for me has the resistant up and I actually get sweaty like I used to as an able bodied person with increased breathing. Makes me feel like I actually did something.
    One thing good with the RTI FES bike will sense how your body is reacting to the stim and will only give you as much resistance as your body will handle. It will actually stop stim and just continue like a motomed until the end of the session.

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I have 20 leads. 2 on calfs( either gastrocnemius or tibialis Anterior) 2 on hams 2 on quads 2 on gluteus and 2 on either the abdomen or erector spinae depending on which muscles I want to work.
    I have two programs on the bike for either abdomen and gastrocs or Tibialis and spinae erectors. I bought a couple RT50's to use more muscles per bke ride.

Like I said before go slow. Set the Resistant low and the RPM's 30-45. I had problems getting dizzy standing before I started using the bike now I can stand for an hour.
    A good ride for me has the resistant up and I actually get sweaty like I used to as an able bodied person with increased breathing. Makes me feel like I actually did something.
    One thing good with the RTI FES bike will sense how your body is reacting to the stim and will only give you as much resistance as your body will handle. It will actually stop stim and just continue like a motomed until the end of the session.
    Do you notice much difference in your trunk muscles since starting that program?

November, ya I'm a little nervous to start riding again, it's really been since last fall that I used the fes bike. I have noticed my legs are less muscular and my butt is not firm from my glutes getting excercise. I had a ultrasound done on my leg the other day and it looks like the clot is still there, sometimes they never disolve. I really think to be safe I'm going to wait until around half way through the summer before starting to ride again as tempting as it is to start building back up my lower body again.

My blood pressure normally goes up when I ride due to a little A/D from the stim, especially if it's cranked up.

Oh well, at least I'm saving wear and tear on both my FES bikes right now.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    November, ya I'm a little nervous to start riding again, it's really been since last fall that I used the fes bike. I have noticed my legs are less muscular and my butt is not firm from my glutes getting excercise. I had a ultrasound done on my leg the other day and it looks like the clot is still there, sometimes they never disolve. I really think to be safe I'm going to wait until around half way through the summer before starting to ride again as tempting as it is to start building back up my lower body again.

My blood pressure normally goes up when I ride due to a little A/D from the stim, especially if it's cranked up.

Oh well, at least I'm saving wear and tear on both my FES bikes right now.
    I would talk to your physiatrist about if it's safe to ride. Maybe contact Restorative Therapies too. I just looked at their site and see nothing about blood clots, but see other restrictions under a section for clinicians.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Do you notice much difference in your trunk muscles since starting that program?
    I have noticed a little more strength. I wish one day it will wake up my core muscles so I don't flop over in my chair. I now work both the abdomen and the back on separate days. This seems to be working better.

I also notice way stronger muscle contracting when I have a spasm. I would think I would have 6 pack abs by now... but still just a pony keg.
    The good thing is that I am not on any meds for my spasms so it might be helping with that. I couldn't stand what baclofen did to me so I got off of it as soon as I could.

i am gonna try FES this summer. the only issue is that it is a 40min drive to get to the place with the machine!! hope you notice some results (ps: i'm 28yrs post in may. never too late!)
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/