Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robarts Research @ UWO: London Ontario Canada

Great post Lynnifer.

what happen to your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    what happen to your avatar?
    I grew tired of wiggling all the time. lol Very distracting to the eye as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    Don't they need dispatchers in Toronto where you could go to school, bond with writers, and activists
    Don't tempt me! I went to the Toronto site ... nothing posted ... but I'll bet if I sent my resume I'd hear back in a month or so.

I actually obtained a second job from a neighbouring jurisdiction, but they require a big case for me to work ... just a transcription job pool ... so I'm waiting for their call!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Thank you Lynnifer for such wonderful information on the research at Robarts. Here's a couple recent video's of Dr. Arthur T. Brown.

http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/accelerating-medical-discoveries-at-robart-research-with-dr-arthur-brown/

thank you for this lynnifer
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    So what makes this scar form? A protein called SOX-9. I'd wiki a link to discuss that protein here, but nothing matched. Anyway, the lab - in mice - using Tamoxifen can 'turn off' the SOX-9 protein and stop a scar from forming in acute injury ... saving someone from extreme paralysis!

I thought that was terrific. Very happy. My niece or nephew will never have to live in an organic prison like most of us here do. Then my selfishness shot up so I raised my hand. "Why only work on acute injuries? What about the chronic injuries - taxpayers and friends, and friends of friends and family and co-workers who have financed this work?" The room grew silent.

His answer was that the spinal cord is ALWAYS trying to heal itself, but can't for this scar. A patient with an acute injury will grow robustly like a 2yr old. A chronic injury such as mine, would grow but at the age of a 50yr old. Those are the facts people.

I have no desire to walk again with my scars and skeletal issues 28yrs in ... but I would like my bladder back. He answered things will come back in sections, but was pretty sketchy about it. People - I just want to pee like a normal person! I'm not asking for much!!! lol

THEN, the pièce de résistance!!! This blew my mind and has stayed in my head ever since. He showed a tissue sample, MRI'd with those markers. It was spinal cadaver tissue. Someone who had been injured for 20+yrs before death.

Lo and behold, those green-for-go cells trying to get past the scar barrier were still there. One third as much as from an acute injury, but still trying ... BLEW MY MIND! That has stayed in my head.

This past week on a return trip for medical in Toronto, I stopped by and visited my dad as I hadn't seen him in two years. (Also used the opportunity to invite his wife out for her birthday/mother's day .. always gotta keep 'em guessing as she doesn't get along with many on our side of the family). I excitedly told him about the tour and the latest research. His words have also stuck in my head, "Well, it seems as if it's only a matter of time now," and he smiled.
    Thanks Jenn for attending this and for the great report!

So if I get it correctly Dr. Brown is doing great things but does not focus on chronic at all yet, correct?

Do you think he would listen to our arguments to perhaps focus at least in part on chronic SCI in the future?

For example:

" Targeting chronic SCI gives Axerion the ability to run smaller trials and to recruit more quickly. Recovery of function tapers off around six months following SCI and ceases altogether at about one year. At that point, “it’s easy to measure any recovery of motor function,” Cassidy pointed out. “You can actually take patients and utilize them as their own baseline.”

http://www.axeriontherapeutics.com/40501.html

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    What about the chronic injuries - taxpayers and friends, and friends of friends and family and co-workers who have financed this work?" The room grew silent ...

His answer was that the spinal cord is ALWAYS trying to heal itself, but can't for this scar. A patient with an acute injury will grow robustly like a 2yr old. A chronic injury such as mine, would grow but at the age of a 50yr old. Those are the facts people.

THEN, the pièce de résistance!!! This blew my mind and has stayed in my head ever since. He showed a tissue sample, MRI'd with those markers. It was spinal cadaver tissue. Someone who had been injured for 20+yrs before death.

Lo and behold, those green-for-go cells trying to get past the scar barrier were still there. One third as much as from an acute injury, but still trying ... BLEW MY MIND!
    This is the answer for now, Paolo.

So correct me if I'm wrong please, but the guy basically said chronics are sol? So not only if something were developed we wouldn't heal that well from it? And it almost sounded like since they feel that's the case they are not concerned with healing chronics? Please tell me I read that wrong
    T6 complete since 3/21/2012

I should have asked a more specific question I guess ... the slide they showed of a 20yr post paralytic still had cells trying to make connections. I saw them. They were not as robust as an acute injury.

Whether this would be different for someone 2, 5, 10, 15yrs out ... I have no clue.

I had also asked how long an acute injury takes to become chronic (as a first part of my question to whispers of, "Good one," behind me. A week depending upon severity of injury).

The important part is this is not the only lab ... I'm anxious to see the Maimi Project's work as well as Young's and keep an eye on CaseWestern. I made contact with Toronto and when they host an evening such as London's - I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by havok View Post
    So correct me if I'm wrong please, but the guy basically said chronics are sol? So not only if something were developed we wouldn't heal that well from it? And it almost sounded like since they feel that's the case they are not concerned with healing chronics? Please tell me I read that wrong
    Did you expect something else??