Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In a facility

That's good to hear Ryan, at least you have somewhere to land to figure out where to go next.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Promise me. When you think you're healed, STAY OFF IT FOR 2 MORE MONTHS! I'm at home w/ my dog, thank God, but if I get up on this burn I won't be for long. You've been on this merry-go-round forever. Quit rushing it!

And you hate living w/ fam, right? Bounce back there for a while but don't get stuck. The depression is as bad for your skin as the pressure imo. Also nutrition nutrition nutrition. I'm late to this skin game but I'm not playing. Use satin sheets. Keep real fur under your butt. Eliminate all shear, heat and pressure where possible!
    Last edited by betheny; 04-24-2013 at 05:42 PM.

What Betheny said! I'm currently in bed with my first 'big' sore but staying off it I can already see the light at the end of this bed. And unless that doc that said you can get up some is in a wheelchair himself I'd get another opinion.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sorry to hear all you are dealing with...Cunuck said it best...it has taken me years to learn that life sends us lessons and it you don't learn it first time around, hang on cause it'll keep coming back till you learn the lesson...you said the doc said you could get up for a bit, and you want to go home to use your speaker phone? you know the drill, stay the fuck off it...

Ryan, the only people on this board who have had pressure sores and healed them up are the ones who stayed completely off of the wound.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Promise me. When you think you're healed, STAY OFF IT FOR 2 MORE MONTHS! I'm at home w/ my dog, thank God, but if I get up on this burn I won't be for long. You've been on this merry-go-round forever. Quit rushing it!

And you hate living w/ fam, right? Bounce back there for a while but don't get stuck. The depression is as bad for your skin as the pressure imo. Also nutrition nutrition nutrition. I'm late to this skin game but I'm not playing. Use satin sheets. Keep real fur under your butt. Eliminate all shear, heat and pressure where possible!
    I had flap surgery about 2 years ago. I stayed in bed 2-3 weeks longer than they told me too. It was hard after being in bed 100% for 6 weeks. I wanted to start the seating schedule so bad but I was terrified! I haven't had any problems since then (knock on wood). Betheny is right! Stay in bed longer than what they say!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Ryan, the only people on this board who have had pressure sores and healed them up are the ones who stayed completely off of the wound.
    YEP! It's is a must! 100%! It sucks but it is so worth it in the end!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post

I have healed several ischial sores sitting on them all day.One was 6 cm deep.. I am able to clear my butt every few minutes I use Roho Quadtro HP and keep circulation flowing to allow wound to heal.

Lying in bed all day does not allow blood to flow well enough to provide adequate circulation to heal wounds. Feel of your legs and buttocks when lying on your side. You will notice how cool they feel.

Sitting up is best thing for sacral wounds imo because of increased circulation. I had surgical debridment of sacral wound 4 yrs ago,and it healed in 3 weeks with me sitting up per surgeons advice.

If your cushion is doing it's job,getting up short intrervals is ok with every doctor that's treated me,
    Same old story being told again. In '82,I icshial wound 6 cm deep.It was clean,and I worked full time sitting on it. Wound healed in 2 mos.My doctor was amazed and credited my cushion. The cushion and good circulation facilitated by my rolling and pressure relief every 3-5 minutes allowed the wound to heal as opposed to lying in bed and missing work. Being young and healthy did not hurt either.

Ryan,with your history and lack of triceps,I'm in agreement with you taking extra precautions. Your skin has been compromised by the numerous flap surgeires. Have you been accepted to ASU? Have you got approval from DVR for tuition etc You must apply for Pell grant. Are you going to have to take any remedial courses?

Back to your sore,why not try a colostomy until your skin has healed? Feces promotes growth of bacteria and infection. It is rather simple to reverse if want to do it after you heal?
    Last edited by Handsome Wheeler; 04-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.

What do all of you think about Ryan possibly taking blood thinners? Would aspirin help the mending process?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    What do all of you think about Ryan possibly taking blood thinners? Would aspirin help the mending process?
    Todd. the medical profession does not seem interested in alternative means to heal pressure sores because the majority of us are old and disabled. There has been remarkable progress in treatment of AIDs because it affects, young active productive people in the prime of their life. Those of us in wheelchairs are not considered as viable members of society thus no real urgency to get us up and rolling.