Thread: Online college

Online college

Has anyone tried an online college. Which ones are best for
    psychology and business. A total online degree. donnie

Quote Originally Posted by rollin' man View Post
    Has anyone tried an online college. Which ones are best for
    psychology and business. A total online degree. donnie
    The only good ones for a degree that employers will take seriously are connected to bricks and mortar institutions like state universities and county community colleges. Check who accredits them, what kind of aid they can help with or accept and if you can transfer those online credits to other non-online schools including their bricks n mortar schools. It is also near impossible to get a 4 year degree solely online. Many schools insist certain exams be at proctored sites while other schools have communication classes that must be attended. Online is a good way to see how you'll do for a class or two but you miss a lot of the experience not attending classes with peers.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I took online classes through several different institutions while I was still working. The Army encouraged ongoing education and subsidized it. All of my classes were extension programs from Brick and Mortar institutions. I also have two years of residential traditional college and over 150 semester hours total. I have somewhere over 500 hours of technical training classes as well - I hold a master mariners license.

I liked the University of Maryland classes but you can't complete a degree from them online (last I checked.) American Military University was very good as well and you can do an online degree through them. Colorado Technical University does A.S and B.S. degrees totally online and specializes in business oriented programs. Their classwork was mediocre. I learned little and maintained a 4.0 with little effort. Any some of my classmates were barely literate. Still, it is an option. Liberty University also does fully online degrees, but their curriculum is, IMO, nothing more than a joke. They teach propaganda, not facts.

And finally, with any program, you get out what you put in. Effort to learn the material instead of just preparing for a test is going to help you more in the long term.

Sue was right in that an online degree is weighted less in comparison to a regular college - the same way that a bible college is weighted less than an Ivy league degree. But many employers (including the federal government) simply look for a degree, any degree, any major.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    And finally, with any program, you get out what you put in. Effort to learn the material instead of just preparing for a test is going to help you more in the long term.

Truth.

. . . many employers (including the federal government) simply look for a degree, any degree, any major.
    Especially true were the lack of a degree is the employer's only barrier to making a hire or granting advancement to which they are predisposed.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

What do you want to do with a degree??? If you are going into a field where you will need to go to graduate school, or where a degree is required for a certification or license, you need to be careful about the school you attend. If it is not appropriately accredited, you may find yourself with a worthless degree.

For example, in the VA system, nurses must attend schools for their bachelor's or other degrees that are accredited by one of two USA accrediting bodies, and if foreign trained, must have attended one of the listed schools on the VA nursing website. The degree must also be in nursing (not just any bachelor's degree). Similarly, the Board of Nursing (licensing body) has a list of schools that they recognize, and you cannot sit for the licensure exam if you did not attend one on their list.

I agree also that there is significant value in face-to-face classroom experiences for many fields, and those that require team projects as part of teaching team management and leadership skills are particularly difficult to replace with an on-line approach. Any that require psychomotor skill training are also pretty much impossible to replace with on-line training.

(KLD)

"I liked the University of Maryland classes but you can't complete a degree from them online (last I checked.)"

They have quite a few undergraduate and graduate degrees that can be completed online. You can also attend classes in person on their campus. They are separate from the University of Maryland, but they're in the Maryland school system. A lot of military personnel get their degrees from UMUC.

I'm getting my degree completely online, except for the classes I took before my SCI.