Thread: Thunder Chicken Express

Thunder Chicken Express

The Thunder Chicken Express, as I can my van during spring gobbler season, hit the road yesterday for our first Wheelin' Sportsmen turkey hunt in New Kent Co. today. We ended up killing 3 birds. I drove the 2 hours to the site yesterday, met some other volunteers to scout and then set up blinds. We were surprised to not see a lot of sign but we knew birds were there. I had a first-time able-bodied turkey hunter with me who volunteered to help out any way he could. We set up decoys in the dark and were in the blind by 5:50am. We spotted two birds about 125 yards behind our blind around 7:30. I couldn't get turned around and high enough to peek out the back window of the blind to see exactly what they were, but they didn't pay any attention to my calls.

Around 8:40 I called in 5 jakes to 30 yards but they didn't like the dekes and trotted off to play about 125 yards away for another 20-25 mins. I then spotted a gobbler but he ignored the dekes and my light calls. I then switched from my mouth call to a little push button call and he immediately went full strut and gobbled. I hit it again, and he started towards us with the 5 jakes in tow. He circled the blind at 35 yds and gave me a shot. A long two days and worth every second.

10" beard, 1" spurs and weighed in at 22 lbs.

"It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Nice job Robin... great looking bird.

good job man...heard 2 but they didn't wanna play maybe next time!

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    the thunder chicken express, as i can my van during spring gobbler season, hit the road yesterday for our first wheelin' sportsmen turkey hunt in new kent co. Today. We ended up killing 3 birds. I drove the 2 hours to the site yesterday, met some other volunteers to scout and then set up blinds. We were surprised to not see a lot of sign but we knew birds were there. I had a first-time able-bodied turkey hunter with me who volunteered to help out any way he could. We set up decoys in the dark and were in the blind by 5:50am. We spotted two birds about 125 yards behind our blind around 7:30. I couldn't get turned around and high enough to peek out the back window of the blind to see exactly what they were, but they didn't pay any attention to my calls.

Around 8:40 i called in 5 jakes to 30 yards but they didn't like the dekes and trotted off to play about 125 yards away for another 20-25 mins. I then spotted a gobbler but he ignored the dekes and my light calls. I then switched from my mouth call to a little push button call and he immediately went full strut and gobbled. I hit it again, and he started towards us with the 5 jakes in tow. He circled the blind at 35 yds and gave me a shot. A long two days and worth every second.

10" beard, 1" spurs and weighed in at 22 lbs.

yummmmy...

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Your the man, great job. Deadeye, did you ever change the tires on the Permobil?

I have to get more agressive tires or I'll get stuck again for sure.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nice bird!

You know how to get it done. No doubt about it.