Thread: Contractions and long-term implications involved in treatment:

Question Contractions and long-term implications involved in treatment:

Hello to All,

My name is Ned Church I am a 30-year-old C1/C2 quadriplegic and was injured at the age of nine. I have been fortunate in that I have had limited complications with my health but I have been contending with severe contractions in my ankles. This has been an ongoing issue for many years now but over the last few it has become significantly worse. I am now developing pressure sores and open wounds on the underside and top part of my feet. These symptoms are present but more manageable during the winter months when I am wearing boots that provide strong ankle support. When warm weather approaches and I transition to lighter footwear my skin integrity diminishes quickly because of the angle at which my feet turn in and make contact with my foot rests.

I’ve spoken to a number of doctors about this at various institutions and they have outlined/suggested two options: Do your best to control and mitigate your wounds at present or pursue a surgical intervention known as a “Tendon Release.” I’m afraid that I don’t like either of these options very much as if I do nothing, the problem will continue to exacerbate and I’ll be forced pursue the latter alternative down the road. I don’t love the idea of any type of invasive procedure especially one that involves permanently severing any part of a body. I believe that without the support of my tendons in my ankles that I would be more susceptible to breaking bones in and around that area.

Additionally, I think that most of us living with paralysis hope that at some point in his or her lifetime that medicine will identify some type of treatment will afford individuals the opportunity to regain some degree of their lost function. I to remain hopeful that some type of intervention will be identified at some point but I am fully aware of the many challenges and obstacles that complicate this goal and I am comfortable knowing that in the end that I may not enjoy the benefits of future treatments. That being said, if by fortune advances are made in my lifetime that can potentially better my quality of life and overall independence, I want to be sure that I am able and qualified to participate in every therapy that is available to me! I’m wondering if there are any other alternatives out there or if I am overlooking something that could provide relief in this pursuit and I am simply unaware of it. I would appreciate any thoughts, direction or advice that may help steer me towards a decision or another way of looking at the problem at hand.

All the best,

Ned Church

I think there is a way to successfully fix your tendons. What I've seen in drawings is a slicing longitudinally which enables lengthening them. Then they sew them back together so they can heal.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Botox. More specifically, myofascial release. A quad friend had this done as her feet were becoming close to a ballerina's in toe point.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12