Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rick Hansen Foundation grants $20 million to spinal-cord research centre

$20m can be pissed up a wall in no time when it comes to the overheads of a big shiny building filled with employees doing dick all.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Not working anymore for me either. Try this one: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/ric...088/story.html

The $20,000,000 is over a ten year period of time, so let's not get too excited.
    Thanks J. To be even more of a Debbie Downer, their definition of "clinical trials" has never involved chronics or repair, just studies of minimizing post-injury damage and more often bs types of projects like studying crutch walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    $20m can be pissed up a wall in no time when it comes to the overheads of a big shiny building filled with employees doing dick all.
    Ah, I take it you've visited? Lol. Whenever I need to find parking near Vancouver General Hospital, we cut over to the Blusson building (aka ICORD). It's like a wasteland.

This is absolutely correct.
    Now we have to make sure that this is not just something that looks good, but is actually good for all of us.

I'm talking with some others at the moment to figure out exactly how to make sure that the money is used for cure and not 'pissed up a wall'.

I'm not a cynic, but I want to make sure that the money is put to good use, AND includes us chronics.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    This is absolutely correct.
    Now we have to make sure that this is not just something that looks good, but is actually good for all of us.

I'm talking with some others at the moment to figure out exactly how to make sure that the money is used for cure and not 'pissed up a wall'.

I'm not a cynic, but I want to make sure that the money is put to good use, AND includes us chronics.

Are you a donor or fundraiser for this organization or otherwise significantly involved? If not, why should you have any say in how the money is spent?
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

No mention of chronic SCI at all in this video:

http://globalnews.ca/video/477736/spinal-cord-research

Paolo

I´m tired of the blind faith that many people have in buildings. Why waste money in bricks when you actually can invest in the real thing, A.K.A. research?
    I´m curious about the number of centers built in the world for research, and how many are really doing something useful.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

That's Canada for you.

Don't hold your breath!
    I for one, am not!!
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Rick Hansen is a Canadian hero and would never let his name be associated with something that isn't of the highest integrity.

More information on the grant

Here is a more complete report on the funding:

“We look forward to increasing collaboration by engaging with people with SCI, research leaders and clinicians so that the most promising discoveries with the best chance of achieving cures will make it out of the labs and into clinical trials,” noted Dr. Wolfram Tetzlaff, Incoming Director of ICORD. “Then, these results will be applied to people with SCI who can benefit the most from them.”

“ICORD’s scientists and clinicians have been working on many fronts in the quest to treat spinal cord injury, such as stimulating the re-growth of nerve fibres in the damaged cord, or re-training spared or re-grown nerve fibres through rehabilitation,” said Dr. Gavin Stuart, Dean of the UBC Faculty of Medicine and Vice Provost, Health. “We are grateful for this new infusion of support from the Rick Hansen Foundation, and look forward to working closely with the Rick Hansen Foundation and the Rick Hansen Institute on the most effective allocation of funds, and the most promising strategies for bringing our discoveries to patients.”
    http://icord.org/news/2013/04/grant-...ures-at-icord/