Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill holders

Hill holders

Other than grade aids from sportaid/Livewell are there any other brake type systems that can keep your chair from rolling back? Does anybody know if surelocks or D locks have this function? I've read up on both, but didn't see any mention of this feature. I'm ordering a ti lite tr3 from the VA and I've been told by the people at sportaid that the grade aids will not fit the thinner tubing of ti lite chairs. I need them mainly for when I push myself up my van ramp. I'm trying to sort this out. Any help would be much appreciated. thank you~

Mike

I'm not sure about Dee's, but I do know that Magic Wheels in low gear won't roll backwards. Chas will hopefully chime in--he's raved about Dee's Locks, and now has Magic Wheels (but with scissor locks, because Dee's and MW's are not compatible.)

Dee s locks and sure locks do not have this function

When they're in low gear, MagicWheels will not roll backwards unless you propel them backwards using the handrims (hill-holder override). (My MagicWheels' review thread.)

I concur with Ryan, D's do not have a hill-hold feature.

MagicWheels are a bit pricy if the only feature used is the hill-holder

The VA provided my MagicWheels. MWs let me try a set for two weeks to help me decide If they were right for me.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Grade aides are part of the brake assembly itself and do not require a separate attachment to the tubing of the chair frame. I have had 2 chairs with grade aids and they are a plastic piece that is made over the brake piece that goes directly against the wheel - but only when flipped down in place. The rest of the time they stay out of the way.

Just a thought, but I've heard other folks whose issues with getting into their van was helped by a freewheel.

thanks guys. yes the MW's would be a bit much just for a hill holder feature. The e-motions also have a hill holder feature when used with the remote control. again...too pricey just for that feature. I maybe getting a freewheel from the VA, I'm eager to see how/if it would make things any easier. I've had good luck with the grade aids, I was just wondering if there was anything else on the market. if push comes to shove, I can always have a welder friend make any adjustments for me, so it's not a deal breaker. I'll also look into that plastic piece Bookjunky referred to... Thanks for the input as always.

Quote Originally Posted by voxina View Post
    Just a thought, but I've heard other folks whose issues with getting into their van was helped by a freewheel.
    I think Pat may have hacked in to your account.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    well...he could have done worse...

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    It sounds like it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.