Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I feel like a babysitter"

Blog Entries

"I feel like a babysitter"

~So, I'm sorry that my hands don't work. That's why you're here.~

She did very sincerely apologize. But have I ever mentioned that, aside from the obvious, needing caregivers is far and away the worst thing ever to happen to me?

It's what she's being payed for so she can deal with it. Maybe just having a bad day and said something she didn't mean to out loud.

Sorry dude, not fun.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

6'-0, 190lbs (280lbs at my "playing" weight) and I need caregivers. Not a great life we lead.

What keeps me going is somehow, somewhere, there must be a reason for this. My bad gives someone else good. I don't know what that is, but its all I've got to work with.

I'm sorry she said this to you, it must have been very hurtful.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I understand completely how you feel. I don't care if she was having a bad day, she really needs to go to some sensitivity training; especially if she's with an agency. This is her job. I also need aids but not a lot of hours required.

Like you, I feel it's the worst thing to endure being in a chair. Especially if they cop an attitude. The dependency, and the intrusion in my home, as little as it is, just eats at me some days. Thankfully I now have some great aids. I don't want to make this about me, I just want you to know that I understand how frustrating it is. Just never let them see how vulnerable you feel because I have had some try to play on that with the power thing and they are now gone. It's like the old deodorant commercial "never let them see you sweat" that's when they start trying to take over.
    I'm sorry you have to deal with this but even if I only need a few hours I want you to know I understand

random not a dude.

I agree she spoke out of turn. she is sorry so she is worth keeping. I have been a caregiver. I was probably ignorant at least once before I got the picture for real.

as long as she isnt a thief id give her another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    6'-0, 190lbs (280lbs at my "playing" weight) and I need caregivers. Not a great life we lead.

What keeps me going is somehow, somewhere, there must be a reason for this. My bad gives someone else good. I don't know what that is, but its all I've got to work with.
    I think there could be no reason for sci. it's just one of those things that can happen to a person.

Random without reason or purpose but existing as someones reality just the same. ..........I might have replied that babies can't terminate employment and I don't mean maybe. silly caregiver.

still it was a small terrible mistake on her part. she may be wiser now.

Perhaps you should tell her that if she treats you as an ADULT and not a baby, she won't feel like a babysitter.

Sounds like it is time to have a real heart-to-heart supervision meeting with this person, and hash out some of this relationship (Random as the boss/supervisor, the aide as the employee), and both of your talk about feelings and how to deal with these now and in the future.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Yes, Jody, I have come to share your non-thieving criteria. And I actually have been very lucky lately to have some great p e o p le. Several have earned brownie points by thinking I'm 10 + years younge r than I am. Though their collective ability t o break any manner of blender never ceases to amaze.

I figured I'd cut our overseas brother some slack if he' s never had occasion to notice my dudettenes/s.

Blog Entries
    Thanks KLD for your ever sage advice. But I fear I'm no t as pat iennnnt as y o u.

But for a few well-placed comments, I 've gotten often too lazy for negotiation . I know it's a little patronizing, but I stay calm and explicit, and if she doesn't get it, I get more firm and then ultimately ask to not have her back. I 'm still nursing the scars of failing for a year to take that approach. Replacing is not as easy as that suggests, so I am m ore tolerant than I let on. And then I vent here.

Just now:
    "Could I ask you t o help me make my pills [ p ut them in pill boxes]?"
    "No. I wanned to do that t oday and you said no."
    "I explained to you that I work from home and I couldn't do it then. "
    "... no..." What planet is she from?
    I just l ost it at the third 'no' and now I feel terrible.