Thread: ROHO Sizing and Other...

ROHO Sizing and Other...

After my doctor identified three "areas of concern" on my left side and demanded I stay off my arse (yeah, like I can do that) I went to a PT for a seating assessment. The PT recommended a ROHO Quadtro High Profile (and pressure mapping).

So here are my questions:

While investigating the ROHO QHP I noticed it is not recommended for “seated individuals who may require lower limb alignment”. What does this mean? My left leg is amputated below the knee with spasticity and limited sensation.

I am wondering what size I should get. My chair is 14” x 16” but with my JS Pro back I am only using about 15” of the depth (this still gives me very little clearance in the front between the seat and the back of my leg). I am thinking either an 8 cell by 9 cell or 8 cell by 8 cell. Is this correct? Will the amount immersion make a difference in sizing?

I had a ROHO about fifteen years ago and gave up on it after two cells separated at the bottom and it had valve leaks after only six months (and sweaty butt…. argh). I am hoping this has improved. Based on what I have seen on this site, their customer service is top notch!

Any input on the ROHO HQP valued!

Thanks,
    E
    Last edited by Essie; 04-10-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Stimulite, I believe will cut you to any size you ask. I had StimuLite contoured. That had a raised.arched/curved center that essentially holds center or legs apart. Currently sitting on Stimulite Sport. This is thin and flat, but that what I wanted.

Contact Tom Borcherding. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/member.php?u=34587 He is a member, works for Roho as a designer and is very knowledgeable when it comes to cushions, stability and pressure mapping. He was a huge resource for me in my quest to find the right cushion.
    Btw, I've been using a high profile Quadtro for 5+ years and it's an amazing cushion. I mapped 6 others from varying companies and chose to go with the Quadtro again as it was the obvious winner. I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by Brian&Bear; 04-10-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian&Bear View Post
    Contact Tom Borcherding. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/member.php?u=34587 He is a member, works for Roho as a designer and is very knowledgeable when it comes to cushions, stability and pressure mapping. He was a huge resource for me in my quest to find the right cushion.
    Btw, I've been using a high profile Quadtro for 5+ years and it's an amazing cushion. I mapped 6 others from varying companies and chose to go with the Quadtro again as it was the obvious winner. I hope this helps you.
    Tom Borcherding (pictured below) is the President of Roho Group and was appointed to that position in 2010. He has been incredibly helpful to members of Care Cure Community and will do his best to get you the information you need.

All the best,
    GJ

Tom Borcherding answer?

Please Essie,

can you share with the forum the answers of Tom Borcherding to your questions?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
    Please Essie,

can you share with the forum the answers of Tom Borcherding to your questions?

Thanks!
    I will. I emailed him last night.

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Hi-

Tom did get back to me to let me know he is currently on the road. He will get back to me as soon as possible. Big hats off to people like Tom (Jeff Adams, Todd Hargroder, Erick Bryant...) for their commitment to interface directly with end users!

E

Tom's Response

Tom wrote back to me at 12:35 am EST (I hope he takes time for himself and his family). I am posting his response as requested and in hopes it may help others. I did ask his permission to do so.

Here is his response in part:

While investigating the ROHO QHP I noticed it is not recommended for “seated individuals who may require lower limb alignment”. What does this mean? My left leg is amputated below the knee with spasticity and limited sensation (on both left and right). This should not impact you. We have other products in the ROHO line (namely our ENHANCER and Contour Select cushions) which have features that can help bring an individual's legs into a more neutral alignment. Usually these cushions are selected when an individual has one or both legs that "flop" toward the edge of the cushion and are seeking some resistance from the cushion to help align the leg(s) more to a midline position. I have found that for individuals with lower limb amputations the QUADTRO SELECT provides both the highest level of skin protection and the most versatility for support of both the amputated and non-amputated leg.

I am also wondering what size I should get. My chair is 14” x 16” but with my JS Pro back I am only using about 15” of the depth (this still gives me very little clearance in the front between the seat and the back of my leg). I am thinking either an 8 cell by 9 cell or 8 cell by 8 cell. Is this correct? Will the amount immersion make a difference in sizing? We should probably talk about this, so I can get a bit more information about your chair and its set up. My "best guess" without more information about your chair is the 8 cell wide x 9 cell deep will properly fit your seat platform, and the back 1" or so of your cushion will slide to the back of your seat surface below the lower edge of the JS backrest. If you would go with the 8 cell x 8 cell option, and the cushion can slide below the JS backrest to the back of your seat surface, it is going to be too short for you at the front which would obviously impact the support area for your amputated left leg. I guess my key question for you is will a 4" high QUADTRO SELECT Cushion fit on your seat surface below your JS backrest? Or is the JS backrest mounted so low that it will make a barrier and keep the cushion from sliding beneath it to the back surface of your seat?

Best,
    E