Thread: Shoes?

Shoes?

So, I've got MS (they tell me). My legs don't lift by themselves. I get dressed sitting in a chair. I get my pants on by laying the out on the floor in front of me, and using my arms under my knees to lift my legs into the waist one at a time. Then I can slide my legs forward a bit and use a grabber to pull the pants alongg so my feet stick out...then I can stand, and pull up my pants.

This doesn't work with shoes...at least none I've found yet. I'm thinking about trying maybe Sketchers boat shoes because the back is low and with one of those log shoehorns, it might work.

Any other ideas?

This probably doesn't help the process of putting the shoes on, but
    I've recently gone to a full size larger shoe, and it has made things easier.

Dr. Scholls offers many velcro shoes. Slip-ons are designed to be snug so they don't fall off. Velcro ties allow you to snug up an oversized shoe. Sounds like fastening is a challenge for you but velcro would at least be easier than laces. Or, if you are just trying to cover your feet, use slippers.
    Last edited by MSspouse; 04-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Do you have the range (and arm strength) to pull your knee up and cross the foot over your opposite knee, then put your shoe on? Many of my clients do it this way.

Otherwise, you may want to invest in a long shoe horn, and a dressing stick, which can be helpful to get the shoe into position, and also for removing the shoe. Velcro closures can be added to laced shoes, and there are also elastic laces available. Be sure the shoes are not too small as well (as mentioned above). Due to dependent edema, most people with paralysis do better with a shoe that is 1 size larger and 1 size wider than what they wore prior to their disability (when their onset is in adulthood of course).

(KLD)

I have something to ask about shoe too.

I'm having mild blister at my heel. do any of you have any suggestion on some sort of pressure relieving foam or something?

I hope i'm not hijacking this thread.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have the range (and arm strength) to pull your knee up and cross the foot over your opposite knee, then put your shoe on?
    (KLD)
    No, I can't cross my legs. Best I can do is put my hands under my knee and liift my foot off the floor, point my toe, and slide it slightly forward.

I've tried regular shoes with velcro closures, but even with a long shoe horn, I can't get my heel in.

I'm hoping that the back of boat shoes might be short enough so I could finish.

How about clogs, crocks, or fisherman sandals? Or perhaps mocassins with outdoor soles, similar to leather boat shoes?