Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTI and severe back pain

UTI and severe back pain

about two weeks ago I started having burning my bladder and then started getting severe cramps around the suprapubic site, so I took a sample in to have tested, last Wednesday, and the doctor put me on 2 antibiotics Augmentin and I forgot the other one just to get it started until the culture came back. I called back on Friday to see what the results were and the nurse told me that it was clear. The severe cramping and stopped on Thursday, when I went to see the doctor, I told him that when I have cramping like that it's most likely Pseudomonas. He looked at me funny and asked me "you can actually tell the difference of what kind of bug that you have by how it feels?" And I responded "Yes I can" I have been through this before. Well I get a call back yesterday from the doctor saying my results came in showing I have Pseudomonas! He put me on tetracycline but now I'm having severe like Charlie horses in my low back sacrum area, I would go to the ER, but I don't want to have to sit there for eight hours get pumped full of drugs and send back home to deal with the same situation. My doctor doesn't have hospital privileges anymore, my physiatrist at Baylor won't see me anymore because the had to cancel and reschedule three appointments in a row so I don't have one anymore!

Does anybody know a good physiatrist in the DFW, Texas area? I'm having a lot of health issues with a chronic wound on my ass that would heal up and then come back Stage I-II. I use a high profile Rojo Quattro and it is adjusted correctly. I have been pressure map and everything shows great. I'm also developing scoliosis, so I'm not sitting correctly in my chair. I'm having a problem keeping weight on. I'm down to about 125 pounds at 6'4 " I'm just skin and bones now. I'm eating everything in sight taking in proteins boost drinks, steaks, chicken,etc. I'm just really scared about getting really worse.
    Last edited by crppled007; 04-10-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Low back or sacrum pain is too low for kidney pain. Kidney pain usually occurs just below the ribs on the back, but depending on your level on injury and perception of pain, this could be kidney pain. Pain in the area of the kidneys (often known as flank pain) is often a symptom of urinary tract infection, along with fever, autonomic dysreflexia, pus in the urine, blood in the urine, urine with an odor.

Was the urine tested with a culture and sensitivity lab test? Was tetracycline identified as the most effective antibiotic for Psuedomonas (was it aeruginosa?)?

I have had a few Psuedomonas infections in 30+ years and tetracycline has never been on the sensitivity list. Oral Ciprofloxacin and Levofloxacin and intravenous Gentamicin have been the most commonly recommended antibiotics for this bacteria.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-10-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Low back or sacrum pain is too low for kidney pain. Kidney pain usually occurs just below the ribs on the back, but depending on your level on injury and perception of pain, this could be kidney pain. Pain in the area of the kidneys (often known as flank pain) is often a symptom of urinary tract infection, along with fever, autonomic dysreflexia, pus in the urine, blood in the urine, urine with an odor.

Was the urine tested with a culture and sensitivity lab test? Was tetracycline identified as the most effective antibiotic for Psuedomonas (was it aeruginosa?)?
    Yes, it was done with the culture and sensitivity and it was the aeruginosa. Yes tetracycline was identified as the most effective antibiotic.

I have had a few Psuedomonas infections in 30+ years and tetracycline has never been on the sensitivity list. Oral Ciprofloxacin and Levofloxacin and intravenous Gentamicin have been the most commonly recommended antibiotics for this bacteria.

All the best,
    GJ
    Levofloxacin where's the other script that he wrote. I have had pseudomonas before and had to have a PIC line with the six weeks antibiotic treatment. Yes, the pain is on the flank left side from my kidney down to my tailbone. Feels like a knife and a constant Charlie horse, I've been injured for 27 years and never had that instance of pain like this before
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Are you supposed to take both antibiotics? First tetracycline, then levofloxacin, or concurrently?

If the pain persists, talk to the physician who prescribed the antibiotics.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm supposed to take all three at the same time, I was about to call the doctor because the pain in my kidneys and bladder. I feel that it is a kidney infection, if it's not better by tomorrow I'm going to have to go to the hospital because last couple of times I've read this I had to get the PIC line, which that really SUCKED! I'm just taken my diazepam and pain pills and some other stuff to keep me relaxed and calm and just try to sleep
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    I'm supposed to take all three at the same time, I was about to call the doctor because the pain in my kidneys and bladder. I feel that it is a kidney infection, if it's not better by tomorrow I'm going to have to go to the hospital because last couple of times I've read this I had to get the PIC line, which that really SUCKED! I'm just taken my diazepam and pain pills and some other stuff to keep me relaxed and calm and just try to sleep
    I don't know where you live or what insurance coverage you have, but I have IV antibiotics and did not have to stay in he hospital to have them administered. My infectious disease doctor had me use elastomeric pumps at home that could be attached to the PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line as prescribed. See attached picture.

Hope you start feeling better very soon.

All the best,
    GJ

oh yes I have done that about three times before with the same kind of infection, so I'm no stranger to that. but the pain is just beyond my control now and I'm going to the hospital tonight. On a 1 to 10 scale, about an eight and I have a good pain tolerance. However, OMG!!
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    about two weeks ago I started having burning my bladder and then started getting severe cramps around the suprapubic site, so I took a sample in to have tested, last Wednesday, and the doctor put me on 2 antibiotics Augmentin and I forgot the other one just to get it started until the culture came back. I called back on Friday to see what the results were and the nurse told me that it was clear. The severe cramping and stopped on Thursday, when I went to see the doctor, I told him that when I have cramping like that it's most likely Pseudomonas. He looked at me funny and asked me "you can actually tell the difference of what kind of bug that you have by how it feels?" And I responded "Yes I can" I have been through this before. Well I get a call back yesterday from the doctor saying my results came in showing I have Pseudomonas! He put me on tetracycline but now I'm having severe like Charlie horses in my low back sacrum area, I would go to the ER, but I don't want to have to sit there for eight hours get pumped full of drugs and send back home to deal with the same situation. My doctor doesn't have hospital privileges anymore, my physiatrist at Baylor won't see me anymore because the had to cancel and reschedule three appointments in a row so I don't have one anymore!

Does anybody know a good physiatrist in the DFW, Texas area? I'm having a lot of health issues with a chronic wound on my ass that would heal up and then come back Stage I-II. I use a high profile Rojo Quattro and it is adjusted correctly. I have been pressure map and everything shows great. I'm also developing scoliosis, so I'm not sitting correctly in my chair. I'm having a problem keeping weight on. I'm down to about 125 pounds at 6'4 " I'm just skin and bones now. I'm eating everything in sight taking in proteins boost drinks, steaks, chicken,etc. I'm just really scared about getting really worse.
    In all my years of being treating for chronic UTI's...I have never had one put me on two antibiotics at the same time without a positive culture.

I have always been given Cipro, Levaquin, or most commonly macrodantin until the culture comes back.

I feel your doctor is prescribing antibiotics sort of a bit reckless without waiting on the culture to come back.

The only time I ever took multiple antibiotics was when I had osteomylitis. If you got the culture back and the bacteria can be treated with one antibiotic...I don't see the need to take the other two.

With a pressure wound, your pain may be more than just a UTI.

There is real fear in developing a resistance to antibiotics taking them like your doctor seems to be prescribing.

How long has this person been your doctor? It would concern me if he did not have admitting privileges at a hospital. But I realize in a huge city with multiple hospitals, the doctor may not be able to be at every hospital.

I am glad to read you are going on to the hospital.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    In all my years of being treating for chronic UTI's...I have never had one put me on two antibiotics at the same time without a positive culture. If you read post #6 on this thread, the original poster states he is "supposed to take all three at the same time." I am unclear as to the three antibiotics he is supposed to take.

I have always been given Cipro, Levaquin, or most commonly macrodantin until the culture comes back.

I feel your doctor is prescribing antibiotics sort of a bit reckless without waiting on the culture to come back.The original poster states, "Yes, it was done with the culture and sensitivity and it was the aeruginosa. Yes tetracycline was identified as the most effective antibiotic."

The only time I ever took multiple antibiotics was when I had osteomylitis. If you got the culture back and the bacteria can be treated with one antibiotic...I don't see the need to take the other two.

With a pressure wound, your pain may be more than just a UTI.

There is real fear in developing a resistance to antibiotics taking them like your doctor seems to be prescribing.

How long has this person been your doctor? It would concern me if he did not have admitting privileges at a hospital. But I realize in a huge city with multiple hospitals, the doctor may not be able to be at every hospital.

I am glad to read you are going on to the hospital.
    I hope "crppled007" gets some things sorted out at the hospital.

All the best,
    GJ

If you cannot tolerate tetracycline and there are no other oral antibiotics that are sensitive to the pseudomonas bacteria in the culture and sensitivity then it's time to see a urologist for a work-up and a probably consultation to infectious disease. You may need IV antibiotics. Get your current doctor to refer you to infectious disease or urologist.

I also recommend lactobacillus to take with antibiotics to keep the GI flora on the interior of your intestines in balance.

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-11-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added more info