Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rectal Prolapse - treatment?

Rectal Prolapse - treatment?

I would like to ask the nurse about rectal prolapse and what conditions can lead to this problem. I was diagnosed with this problem recently (it started I think 2-3 years ago) and the doctor told me it can be solved through surgical operation, or I can choose to live with it and be carefull to keep stools soft.

However is a very annoying problem and I want to find out what options do I have to solve this problem. Unfortunately in my country sci patients are so few that you can not easily find experienced specialized doctors for such problems.

I am a male T8 paraplegic, injured 12 years ago, and I am 31years old.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Dimi,

Yeah, a prolapsed rectum really is a pain in the butt. Bleeding, mucos drainage, etc.

Had my full tissue prolapse surgially repaired several years ago. Alas, it has returned in all it's glory.

The procedure I had was done through my abdomen. They sewed a sling to support the rectum to my tailbone. Called it a laproscopic "ripstien" procedure. Worked grate for a few years.

For me, I think the cause is a combination of hard stools, poor anal sphincter tone and straining to pee.

I'm trying to work up enough energy to find a new doc down here and see if they have any new fixes.

Keep your head up - you're young enough that you should see cures for all your problems.

Foolish

I had this problem & had it surgically repaired - like a hemmroidectomy. It was not a huge deal. Took about a week to recover fully. It's been fine for 2-1/2 years now. BP works much better, and no bleeding. I think it happenned from sitting on the commode chair way too long.

Good luck
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

....my pre-emptive solution was a voluntary colostomy.....

If you strain to urinate or to empty your bowels, or spend excessive amounts of time on the commode/toilet with the perineum unsupported you are at more risk for a rectal prolapse. If you have it repaired, and continue with the same management that caused it, it is likely to occur. Our colorectal surgeon will not do the surgery unless the person changes from straining as above.

The danger is not just in bleeding and mucous, but in the rectum getting incarcerated where it cannot be reduced back inside. This can result in gangrene of the rectum, which is a very dangerous condition.

Elective colostomy is also an option that some choose and find an acceptable treatment instead of surgery that may need to be repeated.

(KLD)

I opted for colostomy. Cured prolapse and other conditions.

Rusty Gates

I do not consider colostomy as a solution

Thanks for your time and the information. I do not want to have as an option the colostomy so I would like to know if the colorectal surgeon which I shall visit shall be specialized in SCI or not.

Its so annoying that even these kind of problems can not be fully treated so that we can enjoy a more normal life.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If you strain to urinate or to empty your bowels, or spend excessive amounts of time on the commode/toilet with the perineum unsupported you are at more risk for a rectal prolapse. If you have it repaired, and continue with the same management that caused it, it is likely to occur. Our colorectal surgeon will not do the surgery unless the person changes from straining as above.

The danger is not just in bleeding and mucous, but in the rectum getting incarcerated where it cannot be reduced back inside. This can result in gangrene of the rectum, which is a very dangerous condition.

Elective colostomy is also an option that some choose and find an acceptable treatment instead of surgery that may need to be repeated.

(KLD)

There are extremely few colorectal surgeons with any experience, must less expertise in SCI. I know one or two in the whole country.

(KLD)

two more questions

a. shall i stop using my standing frame ?

b. does this problem causes alterations in BM programme ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    There are extremely few colorectal surgeons with any experience, must less expertise in SCI. I know one or two in the whole country.

(KLD)

The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery has 2,200 members.
    http://www.fascrs.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1

Wise.