Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To colostomy or not to colostomy, that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by dannymarg View Post
    I have had one for almost 3 years. It was the single best thing I have done since my injury. I wish that they had just done the surgery along with my spinal surgery. I think that everyone should wake up from having spinal surgery having a colostomy already done as well.
    I agree 100%! The things I could have done over the past 25 years.. I'm very happy with mine.. Just over one year..

It never smells when working right? How embarrassing are the sounds?

Just reading this thread on my journey of making the decision on whether to opt for colostomy or not. I'm so grateful to everyone for posting about their experience. I'm 20 years post injury and the absolutely most demoralizing feature of my life, is bowel accidents.... I swear I bring them on myself sometimes just by the dread I have of it happening. I'm deducing that the post op hospital time is only a few days, but what about recovery time to get back to a normal active life. I'm a T6 complete para. Thank you.

i had a urostomy back in 2011 best decision of my life. i had complications as my bowel didn't want to wake up so i was in hospital i think 10 days bowel finally woke up around day 6 or so i guess then it was just teaching and such that kept me in longer. it really depends on how they do it either laparoscopically or open procedure with open procedure your generally in a few days longer maybe a week or 2 with laparoscopic could be as little as overnight but most commonly 2-3 days. they generally want to make sure all plumbing is working before they let you go and you are at least eating solid foods as well.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by doneracing View Post
    Just reading this thread on my journey of making the decision on whether to opt for colostomy or not. I'm so grateful to everyone for posting about their experience. I'm 20 years post injury and the absolutely most demoralizing feature of my life, is bowel accidents.... I swear I bring them on myself sometimes just by the dread I have of it happening. I'm deducing that the post op hospital time is only a few days, but what about recovery time to get back to a normal active life. I'm a T6 complete para. Thank you.
    I'm a c3c4 quad so I can't really give you a how long it will take to get back to a normal active life answer but I can tell you it's well worth however long the recovery time is. I've had my colostomy coming up on 3 years. I went from a 2-3 hour bc program to a less than 5 minute bag change. My quality of life is so much better. After your surgery it will take time but be patient everything will be great. If you have any questions or problems go to www.ostomy.org Good luck!

You may be doing your bowel program to frequently and aggressively. You can change it to every other day or use half a suppository. Just a suggestion. Make sure it is Bowel related issues that Is causing the autonomic dysreflexia before you have surgery.