Thread: Confused by all of the medications

Confused by all of the medications

I have a pain dr who's done the steroid injections into spine, did not work, the second time actually made the pain worse which does not make sense. They have my on Oxycodone 3 times a day, Vicodin 4 times a day, Verapramol (i think thats the name of it) every night to try to keep migraines from coming on, gabapentin for the nerve pain 3 times a day, foracet when a migraine comes on. I still have constant pain which I just want to take extra meds to make me pass out so maybe I cannot feel the pain! I do not know what to do anymore to control it. I barely can walk across the living room anymore without wanting to cut off my legs or just plain falling because my legs give out!
    I miss my birds and being able to run! Syrinx's at T2-T6 and T9-T10 prominence of CC at T7-8 DDD at T6-7,T7-7 and T8-9, fusion at C5,6,7, in other words totally screwed up lol

What type of pain and where are you dealing with that's so persistent? Also, how much Neurontin are you taking? You said 3x/day and if that equals 900mg then that's a relatively low dose to use for neuro pain. Some people have trouble tolerating increases in dosage, but it is common to take more. If it's not effective, and it's not a great idea to give up on Neurontin without seeing if you can achieve an effective dose, you could try Lyrica.

I'm at 900 a day. i have burning shooting pain that runs up and down right leg (not sure left because theres no feeling there) but up both sides of back and around chest and stops midback. It feels like electric charge just constant traveling constantly!! then have hard constant pain in neck, going up back up head, in shoulders and down right arm lol drives me insane all day and night lol
    I miss my birds and being able to run! Syrinx's at T2-T6 and T9-T10 prominence of CC at T7-8 DDD at T6-7,T7-7 and T8-9, fusion at C5,6,7, in other words totally screwed up lol

We often find that we need to give up to 3600 to 4500 mg. of gabapentin per day to get the desired effect.

(KLD)

damn....the NL said that because of the narc's that i am on that 900 would deal with the nerve pain...I am really starting to distrust dr's anymore

For nerve pain (shooting, burning pains) taking more of the Neurontin (generic is called gabapentin) may be more helpful. You are on the lowest dose that usually isn't helpful when the pain is bad. While the narcotics oxycodone and vicodin may help some, usually you need to be taking enough "nerve pain" medicines first. There are many nerve pain medicines, and popular ones are Neurontin (related medicine lyrica), Cymbalta, Amitriptyline or Nortriptyline, Effexor and many more. Increasing the Neurontin may also help your migraines.

Fioracet is not the greatest medicine for migraines either and is somewhat "habit forming".... most docs try to stay away from it now unless it is the only thing that works for you. Have you tried imitrex pills/nasal spray/or "shot" for your migraine, or any of the other medicines in that family (tryptans)?

Have you been doing physical therapy for your pains as well?

I did 6wks of therapy and they said there was nothing else they could do. I've not tried anything but the Fioracet but it's seemed to help usually within the day, i did not know it was habit forming damn . I see my NL and my NS's stupid PA tomorrow to schedule MRI's and testing for my surg consult on the 1st. When I see the NL I'll see about increasing the gabapentin because i cannot stand taking narc's but sometimes thats only thing that helps

Who is giving you the verapamil for migraines? They should know about imitrex. If you haven't heard of it, you definitely need a better doctor to help you with your headaches. A neurologist - especially one who treats headache - is what you need.

My NL put me on verapamil....

Man i'm on Fentanyl 100 mchr Q 48 and oxycontin 10mg Q every 3-6 hours to bring my pain down to a "decent level" of a 5 or 6 and i feel like the "junkie in the room" by just trying to survive this crazy stuff life dealt me,and it's no pleasure trip thats for sure. You all seem so well adjusted well i fight everyday for another side looking at the grass from this side.

PEACE