Thread: Tips - 2-Persons Shifts for Live-in Help

Tips - 2-Persons Shifts for Live-in Help

Is there any thread on tips on setting up a good schedule for 2 caregivers?

Currently, my Mom hires one caregiver who lives in and has agreed to be 24 hr on-call (with some gaps), but this hasn't worked long term (for obvious reasons). My Mom has found inexpensive caregivers who can do the basics (turning and changing) -- and does not want to spend a professional caregiver who, for example, can turn my Dad by him/herself.

Hence, I am trying to get two caregivers. When my Dad first came home, I was the main 2nd -- but I can no longer pull 18-20 hr shifts every day... I was able to do it for 7-8 months, but I regret that I physically can't do it anymore.

Has anybody come up with a efficient schedule? Thus, one can sleep while the other works and there's an overlapping time when they can turn my Dad and I can get sleep?
    Last edited by Joey_SF; 04-09-2013 at 07:56 PM.

A lot depends upon what his needs are, and what you can find as far as caregivers. For a live-in person to be available 24/7 is unrealistic. CA state requires that you give this person at least one day off every 7 days. Since we had a lot of students, they were never available 24/7, and had to work around their school schedules too.

I can use my mother's attendant schedule as an example for someone who needs pretty much someone with them full time...but even she had a couple hours each day with no one there:

#1: live-in, but also has another job: 0800-1330 Monday-Friday and 2200-2330 Sunday-Saturday (rarely needed during the middle of the night, but available).

#2: part-time: 0800-1400 Saturday & Sunday

#3: part-time: 1400-2100 Saturday & Sunday

#4: part-time: 1400-2100 Monday-Friday

You are not going to find a "standard" schedule, and may have to change the schedule as your workers change...we certainly did over the 13 years my mother had PCA care.

Have you considered investing in a turning low air loss mattress so that no one has to get up just to turn him (but of course still be available for suctioning or emergencies)???

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-08-2013 at 09:46 PM.

i do mon-fri: days 7:30 am -7:30 pm, 9:00 pm - 7:30 am overnight (2 diff people)
    sat-sun 8:00 am -11:00 am, 7:00 pm - 7:00 am overnight (2 diff people)

my costs have more than doubled and i can no longer pay for the care. my parents are going into their pension and we are all wondering what will happen when the well runs dry.

we have 12 hours a day, my son has a turning low air loss mattress, I have installed a wireless door bell he can push if he needs me in the middle on the night. M-f 1st aide 8-3 2nd aide 7-12. s&s 10-10. My son is a c5 so he does have enough function to be left at home for a few hours alone until we get home from work and he can use his cell phone in an emergency. But the bed is the real life saver and will pay for itself
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Blog Entries

What will happen is that you'll end up

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    i do mon-fri: days 7:30 am -7:30 pm, 9:00 pm - 7:30 am overnight (2 diff people)
    sat-sun 8:00 am -11:00 am, 7:00 pm - 7:00 am overnight (2 diff people)

my costs have more than doubled and i can no longer pay for the care. my parents are going into their pension and we are all wondering what will happen when the well runs dry.
    What will happen is that you'll end up in a Medicaid nursing home and uncared for by hacks. You need to create a self sustaining care plan.
    What have you going currently?

Some options:

1) I was just told about In-Home Support Services which is offered by some counties. The person who told me about this tells me that there isn't a financial qualification because his 15-yr old daughter is able to get $$ support for caregiving, but the site says that there is.

I gotta check this. Does anyone know about this?

2) My Dad's former roommate (who qualifies for low-income benefits) "rents" out rooms in exchange for caregivers. Rentals are outrageous in our city.

3) Also - my Mom is hiring not-professional persons for little money. This is driving me crazy -- but if you're lucky (I know some persons who found decent caregivers), you can try this. If you have patient and watchful caregivers (such as your parents) to oversee, this may be an option. Please send a private message to me if you want to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_SF View Post
    1) I was just told about In-Home Support Services which is offered by some counties. The person who told me about this tells me that there isn't a financial qualification because his 15-yr old daughter is able to get $$ support for caregiving, but the site says that there is.

I gotta check this. Does anyone know about this?
    IHSS is definitely based on income and assets. If someone is eligible for Medicaid (MediCal) or CCS (California Childrens Services, as I suspect is the case for your friend's daughter), they are probably eligible for IHSS. While there is a spend down program for those with more income, it is outrageously expensive. If your father has more assets than $2000 in the bank (including stock, life insurance, etc.) and owns more than a home and 1 vehicle (this includes wife's assets) and has an income from retirement, etc. he is unlikely to qualify.

2) My Dad's former roommate (who qualifies for low-income benefits) "rents" out rooms in exchange for caregivers. Rentals are outrageous in our city.
    Yes, you can certainly provide board and room as part of PCA compensation, although you are unlikely to find a PCA who will take ONLY B&R as their only compensation. You can even provide this to IHSS PCAs, while you are not allowed to provide them with more money than IHSS funds for their position (usually around $8.75/hour).

3) Also - my Mom is hiring not-professional persons for little money. This is driving me crazy -- but if you're lucky (I know some persons who found decent caregivers), you can try this. If you have patient and watchful caregivers (such as your parents) to oversee, this may be an option. Please send a private message to me if you want to know more.
    Most people who need PCAs and hire on their own hire non-licensed staff. Licensed staff can get jobs through an agency or facility that pay a lot more. There are experienced PCAs out there, but it takes some hunting, and you need to be prepared to train and supervise them in your father's care needs. Your local ILC or senior services center may have lists of PCAs seeking employment, esp. those who qualify under IHSS, and they can take private jobs that pay better. I used Craig's List to find PCAs for my mother for 13 years, and we paid (in Southern CA) starting at $12/hour. And yes, we did background checks, checked references, and spent a lot of time interviewing, but we still had to let a few go who did not perform the job properly in spite of training or had problems with excessive absences, etc. You MUST plan on back-ups for your PCAs' own family emergencies, sick time, etc. etc.

(KLD)