Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCI walking detail question

I have to keep an eye on the ground in front of me to make sure it's level. There are days I have no idea what my feet are doing, those days require extra mental and physical strength. They are so very tiring.

The crawling idea is a good one, have you tried it yet? I do crawl every now and then, it works different muscle groups and is good.

Don't forget isometrics and yoga to build up the muscles needed for controlled movement. There are many poses that help out and give a good stretch. Muscle tension is common for me when walking, even with a cane, I find myself tensing up. Some of the stretches are good to just relax with.

Walking requires a balance between relaxation and tension...one swing the wrong way can throw everything off.

When you are ready to take steps without looking at your legs (relaxed and confident) do it in a safe place; preferably with a friend or loved one nearby to "spot" you in case you get in trouble. You can do this, but confidence is a must...talk yourself up and make sure you are safe.
    Last edited by lavenderthistle; 05-06-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: forgot something
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

lavender, I am pretty much not scared falling. I have fell. Pissed off while on floor. Get thoughts back together and move on. Recently, I seem to be getting more coordination in the getting up and can do it quite quickly.

I really do not do much crawling. It is supposed to be very good. That is what a baby does. I have taken the approach be a baby all over again. At times I think though, my mind is way too far ahead in that process and get stuck and cannot figure why. Eventually I do.

I have a lot of tone, from a lot recently, hips down to toes. I walk at my toilet, turn around, able to get jeans down, sit down, use toilet, flush, back up, jeans back up, button them, pull zipper up and walk back to chair. I like this FAR better than parking the chair. My toilets are actually low ones. That was what I put in when I designed house before accident. The only assistance I have in house are 2 walkers and wheelchair. I REFUSE to mount anything anywhere. My concept is I would become addicted to assistance instead of walking.

I do all kinds of stretching. I can almost put my big toe in my mouth sitting on side of bed. I have maybe 3" to go.

Sitting on bedside, feet flat on floor, I am starting situps. I do a lot of just twisting with arms extended and rotate upper body while eyes are closed. This I think has 2 major help. 1 is helping balance without assistance from eyes. As well as all kinds of stretching. I will admit, sitting on bedside. allows bed to absorb any kinds of motion activity that my body may not yet be able to handle if performing on a solid surface.

I do a lot of various exercises where I may not b able to actually complete the very 1st rep. I have my brain trained, keep working on it, and things keep progressing.

Professional athletes get the therapy to get them back to work in 1 year of less when they have all kinds of injuries. There is no reason, we cannot do the same.

Also, if I fall, then I just have therapy getting up. I never had anything like that.