Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New pin to raise money for spinal cord research

New pin to raise money for spinal cord research

My fiance, Christina in collaboration with Kenneth Cole and Liz Claiborne has designed a symbolic pin which will raise awareness and much needed funding to benefit spinal cord research. Because we manufacture the pins our attorneys have informed us that we can not become a not for profit organization. Even though our organization is an LLC we will be donating all profit to our designated beneficiares. Please take a look at our web site and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us:

www.spine4acure.com

Thanks, we are excited

Walter & Christina

walter@spine4acure.com
    or
    christina@spine4acure.com

[This message was edited by Walter Rynasko on 06-19-05 at 12:49 PM.]

Hi Walter, and welcome to CC, the pins look great and thank for playing a role in putting and end to paralysis, etc.

Rock on..

pump those Florida legislators to co-sponsor Chris Reeve's Bill.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Hi Leo:

Thanks for your feedback and support. If we can raise more of an awareness by the sale of this pin we can increase the funding for spinal cord research. Every little bit helps.

www.spine4acure.com

Walter

Originally posted by Walter Rynasko:

Because we manufacture the pins our attorneys have informed us that we can not become a not for profit organization.

Walter & Christina
    I think you should find new lawyers... manufacturing and selling an item to raise money for charity does not disqualify you for non-profit status. There are lots of examples to the contrary:
    HIV (Until There's A Cure Bracelets)http://www.utac.org/donations.shtml
    Lance Armstrong Foundation (LiveStrong Bracelets) http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.jvK....CC7C/Home.htm
    American Lung Association (BreathEasy Wristband) http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=477599
    American Diabeter Association (Wristbands and other products) http://www.diabetes.org/support-the-...-and-gifts.jsp

These are just the examples I came up with off the top of my head. Perhaps there is another reason why you can not be a non-profit, but the pins themselves are NOT a stumbling block. I would look into it if I were you.

--------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

Thanks Walter and Christina.

Your pin and website look great. Good Luck with your quest to help cure spinal cord injuries.

Darlene

Hi Walter

I just received your pins today. They are beautiful. Believe it or not I have had a few people stop me this evening and ask me about it so gave them your web address. Way to go.

Love the symbolism. Spoke to Christina earlier at the number you posted on your site today and she explained that there was more symbolism to the pin. She mentioned that the pins were made silver to honor Christopher Reeve, "the man of steel" You might want to put that on your site, but I am not sure if you will infringe on any copyright laws or something of the like. It was really great to hear how she came into contact with Kenneth Cole and Liz. You should put that on your site too. I was really excited to hear that Liz Claiborne inc. is monitoring the sales and will be relaying the progress to their venders. I pray someone picks this up to sell in stores. This could be big really BIG!

To answer Mjschaef. A friend of mine is an atty and explained this to me, If goods or services are paid for then those items can not be claimed by the purchaser on tax returns therefor one can not form a not for profit. The other organizations were set up already as not for Profit raising money with donations and are also selling goods, but if they were only to sell those goods than they could not be a not for profit. I hope this makes sense.

It really doesn't matter I think you guys are doing a wonderful thing and hope that the pins go international in creating awareness. The pins are beautiful. Thanks again

Hi Karens Mom and Spencer Griffin and MJschaef

Thanks for your comments and support.

Spencer Griffin. I am so glad you received the pins and are wearing it already. We have been stopped many times too. Isn't it a great feeling to raise awareness? We are only hoping that more of the care cure community catches on so that all this work and lots of donated time and money do not go by the wayside.

MJschaef - Thanks so much for pointing this out. Hopefully this will help clear up any questions you or anyone else may have.

The attorneys that donated their time and manpower for this cause happen to be a huge firm in NYC that specializes in forming corps, orgs and not for profits, patents. (see their link on our web site) You name it they do it. I respect their advice and believe we have done the right thing. Our company was formed to raise awareness by selling a product to generate funds that will benefit spinal cord research.

Please make note that this pin was designed specifically for this cause and has patent and copyright protection to preserve its integrity.

I hope this helps you to understand our intent and makes you feel better about out cause.

Thanks so much.

Walter

Just in case some of you have not seen Wise's post in Funding & Legislation, please read below. Bye the way, both Wise & Patricia received thier pins today and loved them...

Originally posted by Wise Young:

My good friend Walter recently put up this web site. Pleasse visit it. http://www.spine4acure.com

They have a new research pin that is now available. The proceeds will benefit the Spinal Cord Injury Project at Rutgers, as well as the Miami Project and the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation.

Wise.

I received my pins in the mail today. They are very nice. Couldnt wait to get home and change clothes so I could pin it on. They stand out very nicely because I went uptown and before I could even sit down someone was asking me what the pin was for.Even though I saw them in the picture, I was very surprised at how great they actually are. GREAT idea.

I'll be ordering directly. They're getting rave reviews.

I wish everyone had a brochure on the crpa to hand out if that many people are asking questions about them!

I don't know you, Walter, but thanks to you and Christina for a great awareness tool. I hope you have major success with it.

How'd y'all hook up w/ these fancy fashion people? Have you contacted the crpf and miami project about these? You never know, maybe they'd want to put them on their websites...

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/