Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Full-size van advice

As for the barn door/sliding door debate, most barns I see have SLIDING doors.

In reality I think it matters more if the roof is raised. Swinging doors are probably easier to mod for taller height.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I haven't closely examined the 150/350 payloads, I'm keen on a 350 because it's available in an extended passenger version. Having said that I would actually be pretty surprised if a 150 left much headroom in the GVWR after the weight of the dropped floor mods, lift, fuel, 250lbs of powerchair, + me and whatever passengers/gear I want to carry, and I want to tow.
    Extended version and towing I understand, all else you stated you are just convincing yourself of.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    Given that you want more interior height and length, I'd just wait and get a 2014 Ford Transit. I'm guessing they'll be priced closer to E-series than Sprinter. I can't imagine Ford would be willing to risk losing market share in vans. And, even if you are partial to E-series, you have to think that Transit will erase the huge resale premium that used conversion now enjoy. The depreciation of a 2013 E series conversion might be rather steep.
    I really hope the 2014 Ford Transit van is mobility equipment friendly!

From the pictures iv'e seen i doubt it will be accessible to wheelchair drivers without a lowered floor conversion.

Also everyone i've spoken to has no idea about the electrical systems.

It will more than likely will be CANBUS and take a while before the electrical stuff gets worked out. Never mind zero effort steering, back up steering, electric gear shifters, electric park brakes, servo steering, servo gas brake, electric door openers and so on.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I don't think you can buy a chevy van anymore to drive yourself.....they put the fuse box under the drives seat and it cant be moved last time I checked......only a transport van now.
    If you want to drive and have a electric chair after 2013 I think you pretty much stuck with a mini van from what I been told.
    Anybody have any more info out there?
    Once upon a time we lowered the floor on a full size Chevy and moved some of the stuff around to make it work.

The most recent one we did was for someone who transferred to a six way power seat base designed to go over all the electrical stuff.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Once upon a time we lowered the floor on a full size Chevy and moved some of the stuff around to make it work.

The most recent one we did was for someone who transferred to a six way power seat base designed to go over all the electrical stuff.
    It sounds like it's really difficult to even modify the full sized Chevy for a 6 way power seat, is that true? I am kind of interested in AWD full sized Chevy w 6 way power. I have also thought about the full sized Nissan van, do you have any experience or knowledge about modifying these.

Lol, can't believe calling them barn doors seems so irksome to some of you. I think the "barnyness" of the doors may have more to do with their two peice nature than how they open but I'm happy to agree to call them 60/40s if it pleases the locals, just don't go looking to hard at van discussion boards or for sale adds... You may find you have more than just me to convince.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Extended version and towing I understand, all else you stated you are just convincing yourself of.
    From the Ford Canada website, the 2013 E150 has a maximum payload of 1480lbs.

1 Braun millennium wheelchair lift (what I have requested)... 350lbs
    1 TDX SP wheelchair... 250lbs
    1 Driver... 270lbs
    35 gallons of gasoline... 200lbs

Assuming you can distribute the weight perfectly, so as not to overload a single axle... This leaves you 400lbs to account for the lowered floor modifications, all install incidentals, every item you store in your vehicle, and all passengers.

I don't think I'm convincing myself of anything.... I'm just following the math.

I would have to believe gas is accounted for in their giving the payload. Also, the specified payload accounts for at least one occupant, sometimes two. Now you may exceed that, but it is accounted for to a point. If you are removing the drivers seat and driving from your power chair, you can deduct that weight from the weight of the power chair.

FWIW I have the Braun Vangater II lift and it specs at 345 lbs. My 150 does not lean in the least or any odd affect, nor any 150 I have owned, which all prior 150's lacked the heavier GVWR of my 2007. If there was any issue putting these conversions in a 150 (over) government regulations would be all over it.

Payload specs never account for fuel, drivers, or anything else that isn't in the vehicle when they tighten the last bolt AND they are always based on the lightest possible vehicle configuration so any options take away from capacity as well. Feel free to investigate it for yourself, you'll find I'm correct.

All any regulations that may exist insure, is that it's possible to use the vehicle you buy without exceeding its capacities... They do not and cannot guarantee that it's impossible to exceed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Payload specs never account for fuel, drivers, or anything else that isn't in the vehicle when they tighten the last bolt AND they are always based on the lightest possible vehicle configuration so any options take away from capacity as well. Feel free to investigate it for yourself, you'll find I'm correct.

All any regulations that may exist insure, is that it's possible to use the vehicle you buy without exceeding its capacities... They do not and cannot guarantee that it's impossible to exceed them.
    http://ask.cars.com/2008/09/what-is-payload.html

"Most often, manufacturers derive payload specs by subtracting the vehicle’s curb weight and 150 pounds apiece for two occupants from the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). But they might also calculate based on a vehicle with just the driver in it, with the maximum occupant count or something in between."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight

"Curb weight is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo."