Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Full-size van advice

Thumbs down Ford 350

I have a '01 Ford 350 and it is a very rough ride. When the tank is full of diesel it smooths out for about an 1/8 of a tank.

my 1978 e150 had slider, it got to where it wouldn't shut all the way close, guess the motor got weak
    my 1990 e150 had barn doors (called 60/40s) they worked great
    my 1997 e150 had barn and worked great
    my 2005 e150 had barn doors, and one door motor kept getting weak, but i think that was due to having it three weeks one of my bear of a dude friends thought he'd help me and open my door for me and pulled it open by hand quickly
    my 2012 e150 is barn doors and doing good so far
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by eversonsail View Post
    I have a '01 Ford 350 and it is a very rough ride. When the tank is full of diesel it smooths out for about an 1/8 of a tank.
    If I'm not mistaken, the tank in conversion vans resides behind the rear axle... meaning... If you find your ride improves on a full tank of fuel, adding some weight at the back of your rig might help a lot. My personal choice would be some nice big heavy subwoofer boxes... but a few sand bags would get the job done too. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I wonder why you would want a 350 and even question DeadEye why he felt the need to stiffen the rear springs? A half ton truck can easily haul more weight than what these lifts weigh. Somewhere in the mid 00's Ford upted the rear spring rate in the e150. These vans don't ride great in the first place, going with a 350 would be a rough ride IMO. My 150 came with E rated tires and it it one rough ride.
    For me, it handles much and I still see vans sagging on the lift side, but the biggest reason for me is that I often pull a utility trailer with UTV or our 6x10 enclosed trailer. No need to add a leaf on anything other than the 150 though, but just my preference.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    My powerchair and me can weigh a lot. With my Omegatrac we almost tipped over a 1/2 ton chevy van loading from the side, scared the shit out of me and the owner.

The heavier the van the less it will tilt when loading. I seriously hate looking at the ground when the lift is going up. Plus, it ain't good on the vehicle. Maybe add a leaf or so on the load side. Will not hurt anything, we used to do it on street race cars so they wouldn't spin. Something to consider.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    For me, it handles much and I still see vans sagging on the lift side, but the biggest reason for me is that I often pull a utility trailer with UTV or our 6x10 enclosed trailer. No need to add a leaf on anything other than the 150 though, but just my preference.
    I have never had any of mine sag on the lift side, nor can I say I have seen it. That said, if you are doing some regular hauling with a 150 I can see why you may prefer the added leaf. My dad and brother have 3/4 ton trucks and the difference in towing isn't subtle. As I say, Ford boosted the payload of the 150 somewhere around 2006'ish. Regulations made it so 150's couldn't be used anymore, that is why there are no used 150's from the early 00's. When Ford changed the payload on 150's they could once again be used.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I haven't closely examined the 150/350 payloads, I'm keen on a 350 because it's available in an extended passenger version. Having said that I would actually be pretty surprised if a 150 left much headroom in the GVWR after the weight of the dropped floor mods, lift, fuel, 250lbs of powerchair, + me and whatever passengers/gear I want to carry, and I want to tow.

I was very excited about goshichi trucks for a long time but ultimately that's their downfall.... when all is said and done I'd have enough weight capacity left over for a small lady passenger and a half tank of fuel. (1/2 ton, 3/4 isnt available in Canada) I'm all for small lady passengers... but a little flexibility in that dept. comes in handy at times. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I haven't closely examined the 150/350 payloads, I'm keen on a 350 because it's available in an extended passenger version. Having said that I would actually be pretty surprised if a 150 left much headroom in the GVWR after the weight of the dropped floor mods, lift, fuel, 250lbs of powerchair, + me and whatever passengers/gear I want to carry, and I want to tow.... :-P
    Given that you want more interior height and length, I'd just wait and get a 2014 Ford Transit. I'm guessing they'll be priced closer to E-series than Sprinter. I can't imagine Ford would be willing to risk losing market share in vans. And, even if you are partial to E-series, you have to think that Transit will erase the huge resale premium that used conversion now enjoy. The depreciation of a 2013 E series conversion might be rather steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the tank in conversion vans resides behind the rear axle... meaning... If you find your ride improves on a full tank of fuel, adding some weight at the back of your rig might help a lot. My personal choice would be some nice big heavy subwoofer boxes... but a few sand bags would get the job done too. Just a thought.
    Your are correct E150-350 lowered floor Ford vans have aft axle fuel systems and have had them since around 1992

Barn doors are preferred. I don't care for sliding side doors on full size vehicles.

While the newer Fords ride better than the older ones or some reason the extended vans ride very harsh.

New tires and shocks make for a night and day difference in the ride quality.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I have an E-350.

Sure the ride is tight but there's no sag and if I ever buy a trailer/camper. I have no worries.

It's a manual sliding door. And people have to shut it for me. But I don't drive because I would kill someone if and when I'd eventually lose control. Yeah, I'm kind of paralyzed. Maybe one day when I'm less paralyzed.

But yeah, I'd go with dual power opening doors if I could.

It only has 20,000kms on it. I loves it.

So people, is there a motor I can get for the slinding door?