Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Hand controls

Nope, you can do it without it

I don't know about there, but here if I had taken the test with a spinner knob, my license would have a spinner restriction. I'd think if you don't need it, don't use it. But if you do want it, it seems it should be wherever it works best for you.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    Been driving with HC for 54 years. Been licensed in Il, RI, CO and AZ. Had one driving test at 16, pre SCI. Built my own portable controls in 62. Just used them when I needed to. My approach is just do what I need to do without asking or telling if not asked.

I went to take my drivers test today and i passed. I'm so excited

Congrats, Sequin!
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Wow, that's great Sequin, sounds like you have your act together. Your install of the controls looks fine on the pedals I'm sure you made sure the thumb screws were real tight. Those look like the same controls I've used for the past 15 years in probably around 500 cars, lol. I use to own a used car lot and would test drive cars when they came in with those, mine were the PHC's but look to be the same as what you have. Heres what I do though to be safe. After the install I make sure controls are not rubbing against the steering wheel when either on the gas or on the brake and I start the car in park and rotate the steering wheel around when gassing and braking. When I first got these I had them extended too far and they were rubbing against the steer wheel bad as I did not do the step I listed about. If you drove it on the road like this it could cause an accident. The other thing I do is jam down the brake sitting there with a real lot of force repeatively as like in a panic stop just to make sure everything is on there good and not binding and then with the car off I give the gas wide open throttle about ten times to make sure there is nothing binding with the throttle mount such as it catching between the carpet and the pedal or something. I can do all this including the install real fast like in around 3 minutes on most cars I've gotten so good at it, it's actually kinda fun installing these. I'm a high level like you, a t4 and can get under there ok on most cars.

Some cars now a days have bevelled gas pedals on the back side, the automakes started this a few years back to try and prevent anything getting caught under the pedal like a Floormat or whatever, this can present a challenge attaching the brake linkage. I actually custom made a bracket for this reason and it works perfect on these cars. Also with my setup I get full throttle unlike the stock setup as the bottom piece is so thick it bottoms out between the floor and the gas pedal therefore only getting you around 3/4 throttle affecting the cars performance. Might want to think about getting a bottom piece custom fabbed by a local machine shop, very easy to do, just a thin steel plate with rough ridges on it to catch the bevelled pedals.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Wow, that's great Sequin, sounds like you have your act together. Your install of the controls looks fine on the pedals I'm sure you made sure the thumb screws were real tight. Those look like the same controls I've used for the past 15 years in probably around 500 cars, lol. I use to own a used car lot and would test drive cars when they came in with those, mine were the PHC's but look to be the same as what you have. Heres what I do though to be safe. After the install I make sure controls are not rubbing against the steering wheel when either on the gas or on the brake and I start the car in park and rotate the steering wheel around when gassing and braking. When I first got these I had them extended too far and they were rubbing against the steer wheel bad as I did not do the step I listed about. If you drove it on the road like this it could cause an accident. The other thing I do is jam down the brake sitting there with a real lot of force repeatively as like in a panic stop just to make sure everything is on there good and not binding and then with the car off I give the gas wide open throttle about ten times to make sure there is nothing binding with the throttle mount such as it catching between the carpet and the pedal or something. I can do all this including the install real fast like in around 3 minutes on most cars I've gotten so good at it, it's actually kinda fun installing these. I'm a high level like you, a t4 and can get under there ok on most cars.

Some cars now a days have bevelled gas pedals on the back side, the automakes started this a few years back to try and prevent anything getting caught under the pedal like a Floormat or whatever, this can present a challenge attaching the brake linkage. I actually custom made a bracket for this reason and it works perfect on these cars. Also with my setup I get full throttle unlike the stock setup as the bottom piece is so thick it bottoms out between the floor and the gas pedal therefore only getting you around 3/4 throttle affecting the cars performance. Might want to think about getting a bottom piece custom fabbed by a local machine shop, very easy to do, just a thin steel plate with rough ridges on it to catch the bevelled pedals.
    Thank you for all the comments & suggestions. The only problem I ran into was the steering wheel hitting the controls but I've since corrected this problem. I too always make sure they are on there securely before I take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Congrats, Sequin!
    Thank you!

Congratulations, Sequin! Great thread and information. Did you end up purchasing the Freedom Staff Controls? They seem to be a favorite here. Do hand controls make a difference in your auto insurance?
    Last edited by Charlottes Web; 05-02-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: My questions were answered by private message.
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Way to go Sequin!! congrats