Thread: Smell of rubber

Smell of rubber

Hey guys,

I own a ramp and the material is rubber. Its a great ramp but this thing smells extremly. Do you guys know how i could probably treat the rubber with different kind of things that doesnt smell anymore?

KK11

Is it inside? Many rubber flooring mfg specify no inside installs. The state of CA released a study in 2010 about VOC off gassing and recycled tire rubber titled Tire-Derived Rubber (TDR) Flooring Chemical Emissions Study. (Most flooring is old tire!) No solution, other than prevention, afaik. Real rubber doesn't off gas, also.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I wanted to use it for inside.....now i just saw that they also recommend the use only outside....I ordered too fast because i haven´t got any time. damn

what solution do you have for inside??? Can someone take pictures of your ramps? That would be very nice!

what length do you need?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

only can tell you how much it is in cm. About 40 - 50 cm are ok. I tried one with 28 cm and i felt out of the chair lol

I glued indoor/outdoor carpet on the one small (handmade wooden) ramp inside my house. The thin, tough stuff. No pad. It's virtually as hard as the wood, doesn't slow me down, it's so thin. 7 years later and its still fine. Worn a little thin where my casters hit the lip, but not through.

Thanks dale! Could you upload a photo for me? That solution sounds great!

It's kind of what one would expect a carpet covered ramp to look like, but here you go:

Going up:

Coming down:

Eww, nothing like digital photography to hammer home the lesson that vacuuming isn't enough. Time for some carpet cleaner. Anyway, it's quite small (those are 15"x15" slate tiles it's sitting on) but gets used probably 100 times a day, by me, and at least 2-3x that much by everyone else walking around here. It's right in the main flow of traffic around the house, leading from the kitchen to the family/den areas. You can see on the 'down' pic where it's a little worn near the transition at the bottom, but otherwise it's holding up very, very well. Made a week or two after my injury, 7 years ago.

Spent less than $20 on the wood, carpet, and epoxy.

Awesome Dale! Thanks for posting. I´ll try to do the same but in my case it would be a ramp which leads me outside my terrace.The problem is the ´´door lip´´ (dont know how you guys call it lol). Its that thing on a door which goes down a little bit further than the initial threshold. Im not a good wheelchair user at all but I think I will get over this little gap when the door is open.I want a ramp which is fix installed. Do you get me?
    If i know someday how I could upload pictures here I can show you!

KK11