Thread: How to get out of house fire

How to get out of house fire

We recently had a house fire in the community and it made me think how I would get out if there was a fire in the middle of the night. I'm a c5 quad and cannot transfer myself.

What do you have in place for this type of evacuation?
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Do you live alone?? Sleep with your bedroom door closed? Have good coverage of your home by smoke detectors? Sprinklers?? Do you have more than one wheelchair accessible exit/entrance to your home?

Have you asked your local fire department to come by and do a fire safety survey of your home?? Do they have you registered as a high risk fire location? Do you have a "child present" sticker on your bedroom window? We used to recommend having a disability symbol there, but found burglers targeting those homes as an easy place to rob, and found the child stickers better to use (with the agreement of our local fire department).

I had a car repair "creeper" that I kept under my mother's bed. While she could not transfer herself, I always had planned that family or a caregiver could roll her off the bed onto the floor and on to the creeper to get her out in case of a fire, when sitting up in a wheelchair would put her head potentially up in the smoke and heat. Fortunately we never had to use it.

(KLD)

Never knew of high risk listing.

We thought of that scenario when we built our house. We had the builder make one of the windows in our bed room in to a door instead of the original window plan. That makes 4 doors in our house. We added extra concrete sidewalks and patio so that I had a clear and easy path in case I had to get out of the house from any of those exits. I can transfer myself so I'm ok from that aspect. Our biggest concern is that we live in a subdivision out in the country with large lots. The nearest fire department is about 15 minutes away with 3 rail road crossings in between and it’s a volunteer fire department. Our homeowners insurance is a little more expensive because of this. We have fire extinguishers in the garage, kitchen, master bedroom and laundry room. I'm glad you asked this question because preparing for something like this ahead of time is one of the best things you can do.

My wash room is my tornado shelter. We have an old pair of motorcycle helmets to protect our heads, flash light, case of water, first aid kit and a weather radio in there. My laundry room is pretty large. We've had to get in there several times from Tornado's in the area. I have 5 dogs and they all know the drill. We fit in their nicely. I just pray I never have to experience an actual hit from the tornado weather we get here in Texas.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994