Thread: Blown tire, what now?

Blown tire, what now?

If you didn't see my other thread, last night one of my tires exploded. Yes I said tire, there's a huge hole in it. I called the wheelchair people, and I'm waiting for them to call back.

Since I have a new chair on the way, and I'm keeping my old wheels for spares I firgued I'd go ahead and buy some solid tires to put on these. The guy I talked to said he didn't think they stocked them.

If they don't have any that they can get to me today I'm going to order from somewhere else. Anyone know how to get these Kevlar wheels off?

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Jim, I think you travel at speeds higher than what the manufacturer rated those tires at. You need to be careful of rollovers.

Seriously, I never heard of a blowout on a wheelchair before. You blew out a Kevlar tire???

Can't stop the spirits when they need you/This life is more than just a read thru.-
    red Hot Chili Peppers

Hmm, who changed the edit time to 60 minutes. It used to be a week. Anyway, here's a picture. The tread was worn, but you can see the tire still had plenty of thicknes to it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Looks like a case of dry rot Jim.

DIGG.

Beth, Last summer while at the wheelchair place I had them put air in my primos, about 20 minutes later the tire just blew out while sitting behind the seat in my truck. You wanna talk about a surprise..........sounded almost like a gun shot.

Jack

"Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock

i wonder why they would blow like that?
    dry rot on a newer generation tire?
    jims looked like it was sliced right down the middle.

Jack was that tire exposed to the sun? Just wondering if they inflated them to max psi & then the heat from the sun put it over the edge?

Originally posted by jack9166:

Beth, Last summer while at the wheelchair place I had them put air in my primos, about 20 minutes later the tire just blew out while sitting behind the seat in my truck. You wanna talk about a surprise..........sounded almost like a gun shot.

Jack

Kanuck, I think they inflated it to just under max (i inflate to max or just over for easier pushing) That day the tire was inside an air conditioned truck so I don't think it was heat from the sun. The tire blew out on the side wall. I've searched all over but the only 1 inch primos I can find are those cheapy ones.

Jack