Thread: Best wheelchair backrest for lumbar support

Red face Best wheelchair backrest for lumbar support

I need some guidance in choosing a replacement wheelchair backrest for my son who is a C-7 quad. He has good upper body function but has developed pain and a curvature in his lower lumbar area due to heterotopic ossification of his right hip. His current back rest, an Invacare Matrix Elite, has very little support in the lumbar region...what model/brand is the best for lumbar support? Thanks!

I have a Jay3 and its excellent for lumbar support. I need more support there than most due to a combination of excessive lumbar curve, and scoliosis from joint laxity. The hardware allows for very fine degrees of change, and the back comes with foam blocks that you place exactly where you need them with velcro onto the plastic shell behind the basic foam piece. There are various options that offer beanbag as well as foam, and different shapes and sizes to get the exact customization required. The back is heavier than many due to the large adjust ability in the hardware, but if less adjustability is required then the lighter hardware options can be chosen.

A friend of mine is a quad (can't remember his level) and also has a Jay3 back. I'm not sure what his specific positioning concerns are, just noticed he had a Jay3 (and same height as mine, mid thoracic) when we met (in wheelchair seating at a horse show lol.)
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks for the info. Do you have the J3 on a manual or power wheelchair?

I have it on a manual, along with my friend. But it can be used on powerchairs as well.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have HO in my left hip also and developed spine curvature over time. I now have a HIgh Profile ROHO Quadtro with sections that can be locked to balance the bad hip influence on sitting up straight. When I sit down in my wheelchair, my bad hip leans me to the right and my body wants to sit up straight causing my spine to curve. Now I lean to the left and lock the cushion which counters my hip tilt and allows me to sit up straight without hurting my spine. I believe that if I had the cushion early in my injury my spine would never have been harmed as I could have balanced the tilt of my bad hip by locking the cushion correctly. The ROHO Quadtro can really make a huge difference in balancing hip problems.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-27-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Woops, I had completely missed the hip part in the original post. That definitely needs to be addressed like fr's cushion suggestion. If the obliquity isn't fixed it doesn't matter what back support is used, his back will get worse.