Thread: Anybody tried one of these hand crank bath lifts

Anybody tried one of these hand crank bath lifts

It's called a Peterman and I like the fact there is probably less to go wrong with it vs a battery lift and I'm a strong para so I don't think I'd have trouble cranking it. I also like the fact the backrest is removable as I might think about removing it to use in my tub so the whirlpool jets will massage my back. My balance is actually pretty good for a high para and I've used bath chairs with no backrests many times with no issues. The price on this unit is not too bad either at $564.00. I just wonder if the crank mechanism is reliable and how long it would last before needing parts replaced? This is the first I've heard of this lift as I was just doing another search on lifts. http://www.rehabmart.com/product/pet...ift-24382.html
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

No, but it looks interesting. As a care partner, I could also crank it, and I'm getting really tired of electronics in both price and maintenance. Nice to see something in a possibly do-able price range.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Yep, sometimes the good old fashioned way is the best way of doing things. As long as the crank gears are not cheap plastic or something I'd think this should hold up pretty well. I'm going to try and get more information on this rig. I'm sure it's fairly easy to crank in that they have geared down good enough being that the weight limit is 300 lbs. I want to verify also that it can be used without the backrest. This would be a great way for me to get into the swimming pool too. Editing this to add I was reading the info more carefully and do notice there is 10 year warrantee and it does say the backrest can be removed for whirlpool baths just like I was thinking of, hopefully the backrest could be easily removed while sitting on the unit, that way I could lower myself down and then remove the backrest once I was in. I'd think it would be even easier to crank if you had a tub full of water. I'm starting to think this was a really good find. Hopefully somebody else more familiar with this rig can provide more info. The only other thing I worry about is it only lifts 17 inches, my chair is around 21-22 inches so it would not be a level transfer, at least from the ground, can't remember if my tub is a little higher than ground level, I'll have to check.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

it is interesting.
    if you put a motor on it, so it was hands free, it could double as a happy bathtime with bunny bouncer, and for an extra hunnert you get te cup holder. weeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! just kidding. why them things have to be so darn expensive though?

you would think it would be less expensive to stretch some tarp over some pvc tubes.

I found the manufacturers website. It is a German company, but they have English on their website. The product names appear to be different.

It seems like they are all fairly low, which is kind of odd because European bath tubs are usually higher than in the US. Maybe you can see if you can get one that will go higher, or find out how they are measuring it. They have a contact form on their website.

Petermann GmbH
    Waldweg 3
    D-91601 Domb├╝hl
    Phone: +49 (0) 9868 9339-0
    Fax: +49 (0) 9868 9339-20
    Web: http://www.pm-med.de/en

Although not what you are looking for, I found this one that is lifted by water pressure interesting Bathlift PM II - waterhydraulic.

They all have a 10 year guarantee, and I usually find German equipment to be made really well.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I don't mean to go nuts on this, but I've been looking for an all purpose lift that is not too expensive.

The RBF Bath Wizard looks interesting, but the "super" version only goes to 15". It has an optional detachable backrest. I like the simplicity of it.

The website is bad, but here is a link to another http://www.procterhealthcare.co.uk/b...rd-bathing-aid

Maybe it's worth contacting them about a higher version:

RBF Healthcare
    55 Comet Way
    Southend-on-Sea
    Essex SS2 6UW England
    Tel: (01702) 527401
    E-mail: sales@rbfhealthcare.co.uk
    Web: www.rbfhealthcare.co.uk

I also saw this pneumatic Portable Lifting Platform.

Maybe it's worth contacting them to see if they have one that can be submersed in water.

Wow, I would not trust either of those for staying stable when transfering as they have small suction cups on one end and wheels on the other, looks like a prescription for disaster. Risky enough with four large suction cups.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I don't mean to go nuts on this, but I've been looking for an all purpose lift that is not too expensive.

The RBF Bath Wizard looks interesting, but the "super" version only goes to 15". It has an optional detachable backrest. I like the simplicity of it.

The website is bad, but here is a link to another http://www.procterhealthcare.co.uk/b...rd-bathing-aid

Maybe it's worth contacting them about a higher version:

RBF Healthcare
    55 Comet Way
    Southend-on-Sea
    Essex SS2 6UW England
    Tel: (01702) 527401
    E-mail: sales@rbfhealthcare.co.uk
    Web: www.rbfhealthcare.co.uk

I also saw this pneumatic Portable Lifting Platform.

Maybe it's worth contacting them to see if they have one that can be submersed in water.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred