Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Mapping Beneficial?

Pressure Mapping Beneficial?

For those of you who have pressure mapping for a cushion done, was it beneficial? Explain.

Did you end up getting the cushion recommended? Why or why not?

How much did it cost?

Thank you,
    E

PS Can you tell I'm a teacher?
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Ive never had it done either so im also curious.

Waiting to be scheduled and hopeful it makes a difference with the next cushion. I'm also curious about the cost. Insurance said they will pay, 80/20. We'll see.

Great questions, teacher!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

I had it done last year for around $300. I was using on a stimulite but also brought my roho high profile and jay active (I think) with me. The guy didn't seem to have full knowledge of the software from what I gathered but we worked through it. I was mapped sitting on the cushions, sitting on a bed, laying flat on my back on the bed, laying flat with one leg bent in the shape of a "A", and I had him map me while in the driver's seat of my vehicle. While being mapped in my chair, I tried shifting around in different positions. The pressure from the stimulite was substantially more than the roho. The roho was around 1-2 psi (ischial area) and dropped below one if I leaned forward a little while resting both hands on the downtube. We decided that I should be using the roho quadtro because of it's flexibility in regulating pressure. Even if the values were off by 50%, I at least confirmed what my body was telling me, the roho out performed. BTW, insurance didn't cover the cost but it was worth it.

I thought this article did a good job and explaining pressure mapping and it's benefits.

http://sci.washington.edu/info/forum...essure_map.asp
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

In the process right now. Had my low profile roho mapped and it went through the roof (wonder why I got a sore). Going back on the 23rd to map a jay fusion and get a shape capture for a custom Ride. Will map the Ride once it comes in.
    Cost is free

Pressure mapping only is beneficial if you are properly fitted in your chair.
    For example: I can take any chair with any cushion and adjust the footplate up 2" and cause "bad mapping". Or, I can change the back angle and achieve the same bad result.

Another thing to factor: If you are trying different thickness cushions, you have to adjust the footrests with each cushion before you map it.

I'm not against mapping..... just saying it is only useful if properly done.

I went in and had some mapping down last month more for my seating position than a new cushion, my ROHO does ok. My Jay Active gave me a sore years ago so I switched to ROHO but because of poor posture after 30 years of active living in a chair I needed to adjust how I sit in the chair. If insurance will pay I suggest going because pressure mapping lets us see what our butt feels.

Had it done after 20 years of sitting on 2 inch foam....turns out every expensive cushion showed a red area. My 2 inch foam (100 bucks) all blue.
    My appt. was with an OT, paid through insurance.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1 View Post
    Pressure mapping only is beneficial if you are properly fitted in your chair.
    For example: I can take any chair with any cushion and adjust the footplate up 2" and cause "bad mapping". Or, I can change the back angle and achieve the same bad result.

Another thing to factor: If you are trying different thickness cushions, you have to adjust the footrests with each cushion before you map it.

I'm not against mapping..... just saying it is only useful if properly done.
    I agree 100%.

Also, be mindful of some cushions that can soften and wear out a little over time.