Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does physical therapy cost out of pocket?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    the local hospital here charges $250 for 15 minutes. what a rip off

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    Or see if Arndog has any openings.

Agree

She does go to PT sessions abroad, and she knows how to exercise on her own at home, so not going to therapy for a few weeks is not really a big deal.

But I mainly want to see if the PT here have anything new to offer (Ex: maybe try a FES bike?), because she has hit a plateau. It's been a little frustrating for her, because she does have the muscle strength but somehow can't balance. She can walk with a cane, but needs to hold on to somebody if she's walking outdoor, because any uneven surfaces throw her balance off. which means she can't go out on her own without her scooter. She has drop foot in one foot.

I think we're willing to pay up to $100 an hour if they have SCI specific equipment like FES bike, but if they're not much more than a supervised gym, then ya, not worth it.

We're in Nor Cal, so Reno is a little too far...
    I saw SCI-Nurse recommended Santa Clara Valley Medical Center and Stanford Medical Center in another post. Anybody have experience with these 2 places?

Thanks a lot for all the replies!

Santa Clara Valley is the best place in that area for SCI. They have the most reputable inpatient rehab program for SCI, so their outpatient program may reflect that. But sometimes you find variability among therapists wherever you go .... They are a county hospital, meaning a bit more financially strapped and used to patients with less ability to pay. Maybe they have a reasonable discount for someone doing self-pay? Stanford is a newer private "shiny" hospital, but not know specifically for SCI rehab.

Maybe others who live nearby can comment, as several on this site live in the SF Bay Area.

If you live in that area, you are fortunate, as there are additional options.

1) SCI-FIT

http://www.sci-fit.org/program/description.html

It is located in Pleasanton, CA. It is a privately run program that allows private pay, intensive rehab with trainers who have expertise in neurologic injuries. They have a lot of the fancy equipment you are interested in.

2) UCSF - Nancy Byl

Dr. Byl runs the Rehab department at UCSF, and has extensive experience with neurologic injuries, although less with SCI. They have an outpatient clinic that you can join and pay privately, and you could pay for sessions with her as well. They have an AlterG, which would be a nice option for your mom.

http://ptrehab.ucsf.edu/patient-care...ellness-center

http://ptrehab.ucsf.edu/about-us/fac...-mph-phd-fapta

3) AlterG

This is a body weight assisted treadmill, originally developed by NASA to assist in weightlessness training. It allows you to walk in a safe, enclosed area on a treadmill to work on gait training/core strength. It is very comfortable, easy to start using and is perfect for people with incomplete SCI like your Mom. My Dad uses one.

There is one at the UCSF physfit center, and Dr. Byl is an expert in using it. Several private gyms and other therapy programs own them, as they are popular for injured athletes to use. You can search online for an AlterG located near you, and then call the site to ask about whether private pay people can access the machine. The company that makes them is based in Fremont CA.

www.alterg.com

So there are MANY opportunities in your area, if your Mom is motivated. I'm sure you know that all improvements take time and hard work, and rehab is a life-long process with SCI. There is no perfect piece of equipment, or silver bullet. Yet...

You might try a local university. I know U of Montana has a gym that is open to the public at their PT facility. It's a monthly rate, not much at all, and the PT students are there learning their stuff, and passing it on to us. I would think most universities might have something similar.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Everything else in the world is priced negotiable, I don't see any reason PT shouldn't be.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12