Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picture of my Tub/Shower combo in the house I'm currently building

It looks like one brand, many models of essentially the same thing. Did you see they acknowledge the suction cup issue with this fix:
    http://www.invacare.ca/cgi-bin/imhqp...OID=-536886175
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The ones on there are pretty big!

If the tub is filled with water before transfer, it will slide and not tip but that carries dangers too with the flaps - my tub is big enough to fall inbetween.

Dry (but I had just cleaned it so maybe it was slippery) and it will slide and then tip.

Anyway - off to go use it! Midnight shift. Blah. Off for the weekend though, yay!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I wondered about the transfer. We have a soaking tub thats bigger than a normal tub and has the ledge like Curt's tub. I'm sure I would be just asking to tip over or fall between LOL. I don't have the core muscles since I'm a T4-5 and the wall is a good 8 inches away from the tub edge.
    I was hoping the lift would be more secure.

Curt your house looks great! we just finished building ours and I keep finding things I wish we would have done different and other things I'm happy we did right...

That's why it would be nice to have a wider outside part of the tub ... Tonight I pulled it close so it was over the lip of the edge of the tub and I had no problems.

The perfect set-up would be bench cushions that are more slide-ful (what? lol) and a little more padded.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    That's why it would be nice to have a wider outside part of the tub ... Tonight I pulled it close so it was over the lip of the edge of the tub and I had no problems.

The perfect set-up would be bench cushions that are more slide-ful (what? lol) and a little more padded.
    Are you saying yours slipped when it was set up like the one in Curt's post #2 above sitting on the inside lip of the tub?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The house looks great! Did you use acrylic grout for the tile? Did you decide on the tile roof or was it standard for the neighborhood?
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Curt, it will be beautiful! Someday I want a hot tub with some sort of lift.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks all, the house is coming along well and the closing is coming up early May. That is a little scary the thought of the tub lift slipping, could get injured pretty bad in a fall like that. I think for now I'll just use my shower bench. I was hoping with the lift to use it to transfer down to the ground when I use the community pool here, but I guess I'll have to design some kind of platform it sits on to do that otherwise I'd do over sideways when I transfered onto it. I know bike-on had done this kind of thing to aid in transfers on and off the low handcycles.

Ya, the grout is acrylic and the tiles on the roof are standard throughout this community, it is great because everything looks uniform. This house I'm moving into is pretty much the top of the line with what they offer, I'm moving from a small two bedroom connected house. All my neighbors are jealous, lol, although even the house I'm in is pretty great, been here 4 years now, time flies. A Canadian couple bought my current house. I think I've thought of everything with my new house, although one thing I'm a little concerned about is I use a raised toilet seat every other day and the new toilets they are using are really wide all the way around so I don't think my toilet seat will fit without modification. Guess I'll go to a machine shop next week and have them fab up some wider legs for me, no big deal, that way I'll be able to take a poop in my new house, man the things us gimps need to think about, it's overwhelming sometimes but I think I've got things pretty well figured out after 32 years of this.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt I look forward to your report on the tub. As Lynnifer said the ledge around the tub might help. We just built our house and we have a tub very similar to yours without the jets not that I could feel them LOL. Anyways I'm a T4 and have no core to help so if that lift isn't stable enough I don't want to spend that cash for something that will sit in the basement collecting dust.

Yes, just have the panel stick out a bit from the edged lip ... it takes some practice. I'm normally bare-bottomed when I do the transfer ... maybe wearing a robe would smoothen it ... or different material on the lift itself. It's very tacky, catchy.

Still worth it!!! Just don't transfer without the hand lift mechanism in place, in case you do tip ... if you fill the tub with water at that point and are weightless, it would be no big deal to re-arrange and activate the lift.

In fact, I think I'll take a bubble bath this evening - just because I can!!! Raspberry and blackberry bubble bath here I come ...