Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picture of my Tub/Shower combo in the house I'm currently building

Picture of my Tub/Shower combo in the house I'm currently building

I'm planning on putting a lift in the tub which will also be used as a shower chair, it will have a backrest. Now I'll just figure out whether I'm going to put glass or a shower curtain that goes all the around on the back wall. It's a six foot tub and is a jetted whirlpool type with a inline heater. I think I need to get a little creative. The shower head and the control is at the other end of the tub and not shown, it will mainly be used as a shower. I suppose I could run a curved rod for the shower curtain that bends and attaches to the front wall and the side wall? As long as I caught the mounts in wall studs it should be ok. Any other ideas anyone?
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-05-2013 at 02:49 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Heres a pic of the lift I plan on using, the flaps fold across when up making for a easy transfer.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-05-2013 at 02:46 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

The dual sinks in the bath are roll under with drawers in the middle.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Heres how the living room and kitchen area will look when the house is done.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Picture of how the house will look from the outside when done. It's called the Dunwoody model, beautiful home.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

When can I move in? LOL

You will absolutely LOVE having the choice of bath or shower. Although ~ attached only with suction cups, my lift moved on me and went over 45° tipping me out on Wednesday night as I was getting ready for night shift - those flaps stopped me from hitting the bottom of the tub and I was able to shimmy up to the tub's edge and recover back to my chair.

I learned a lesson - ALWAYS have a phone nearby no matter how many times I've done the transfer AND ALWAYS hook the electronic part of the lift up - even if I plan on a shower. Worse case scenario if I get wedged with the lift and myself in the tub, I can put the water on and fill it - we both become weightless and I could re-arrange both the lift and myself, then raise it. I would also save myself the embarrassment of calling first responders to a naked 40yr old woman with breasts that belong in a South American tribe! lol

It's the first time for me depending upon technology or electronics (handicrap) ... but with aging, this compromise has to come in, unfortunately. I'm lucky I had a choice for so long.

Looks great Curt - I'm jealous! My kitchen is probably the size of your walk-in closet (I have one of those too in my condo but it's probably the size of your foyer coat closet). lol!

The only difference I would make is that tub's edge to be wide enough (stable enough for someone with balance issues) to sit on for whatever reason since there's falling potential there. I wish I had glass instead of a curtain - easier to clean and I always have to get an AB to change out my shower curtain. Plus, my ex was one for pulling back the curtain endlessly to either act funny, talk or whatever while he brushed his teeth ... with glass, you can flip the bird - end of convo. LOL!

I hope you find someone to share that beautiful home with - you so deserve it Curt.

P.S. I want a whirpool bath!!!!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 04-05-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wow! It's gorgeous, Curt!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Whats a good lift for the tub? I would love to take a bath but not sure if I would ever get out again LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    When can I move in? LOL

You will absolutely LOVE having the choice of bath or shower. Although ~ attached only with suction cups, my lift moved on me and went over 45° tipping me out on Wednesday night as I was getting ready for night shift - those flaps stopped me from hitting the bottom of the tub and I was able to shimmy up to the tub's edge and recover back to my chair.

I learned a lesson - ALWAYS have a phone nearby no matter how many times I've done the transfer AND ALWAYS hook the electronic part of the lift up - even if I plan on a shower. Worse case scenario if I get wedged with the lift and myself in the tub, I can put the water on and fill it - we both become weightless and I could re-arrange both the lift and myself, then raise it. I would also save myself the embarrassment of calling first responders to a naked 40yr old woman with breasts that belong in a South American tribe! lol

It's the first time for me depending upon technology or electronics (handicrap) ... but with aging, this compromise has to come in, unfortunately. I'm lucky I had a choice for so long.

Looks great Curt - I'm jealous! My kitchen is probably the size of your walk-in closet (I have one of those too in my condo but it's probably the size of your foyer coat closet). lol!

The only difference I would make is that tub's edge to be wide enough (stable enough for someone with balance issues) to sit on for whatever reason since there's falling potential there. I wish I had glass instead of a curtain - easier to clean and I always have to get an AB to change out my shower curtain. Plus, my ex was one for pulling back the curtain endlessly to either act funny, talk or whatever while he brushed his teeth ... with glass, you can flip the bird - end of convo. LOL!

I hope you find someone to share that beautiful home with - you so deserve it Curt.

P.S. I want a whirpool bath!!!!
    Thanks Jen, this is my dream house. I'm probably eventually going to be full time in Florida, I really love it here. Just the attitude alone of people is so great, I think it has a lot to do with the Sunshine all the time. One reason I'm building this house too is for friends who come to visit me, it will be perfect. I'm even making the guest bathroom accessable, heres a pic of that. What I did was the closet in the master was so huge I made the guest bathroom larger cutting into the master closet, worked great, otherwise it would have been one of those baths where the toilet went halfway across the tub making it unusable by someone in a chair. I did not do the roll under counter in the guest bath though as I wanted the storage space under the sink.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    Wow! It's gorgeous, Curt!
    Thanks Charlotte, I'm so excited, I'm moving in around a month. Have my current sold, sold it in 6 days. This development is so great everyone wants to be here there are almost no resales so it was easy to sell.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred