Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me Before You (fiction about a quad)

Me Before You (fiction about a quad)

Spoiler in this post, so don't read anymore if you hate that.

Another story about a quad who just can't face his life & chooses not to live it . . . people are raving about it over at amazon, but I'm sitting here kinda creeped out.

The writer, it appears, did at least some of her research on forums like this one. Maybe even at this one. There's a section in the book where a hired caregiver (who is falling in love with her client) goes to a chat room to ask for advice. She describes the scene there.

(They have a code! SCI means spinal cord injury! AB means able-bodied!)

She gets some basic things wrong (talks about C-11 and C-12 injuries, e.g.), but more importantly she gets some big things wrong, imo. Her fictional quad is 35, good-looking, and rich. He's a former successful business takeover guy, 3 years post. His history is all about seeking and finding adventure & excitement, because he likes challenges. The story is set in 2010, and yet this accomplished c-5 incomplete guy with a ton of resources can't bring himself to so much as figure out how to use a computer until his plucky caregiver tells him about voice input.

It's like . . . this writer went looking for drama and she found us. I felt kind of violated, reading this -- as if someone had been looking into our windows for a few years and then gone off to use our real trauma and humor and strength to sell a novel. ICK!

capitalism!! one would think if she was researching via this site, she'd know what the levels of injury were.

just goes to show, trash sells and anyone can be the target.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

It's also ranked #1,097.

And my beloved Maeve Binchy's final, posthumous book was just released. I'm gutted. Maeve was a humble lady, an old-fashioned lady whose stories spoke to generations of us.

I cry for Maeve and my cousins and friends and aunts and that world now gone. I cry for my son who, upon being sent to the rehab library for his mom, returned with a Maeve Binchy book I'd read 10 times and joyfuly read again. I spit on lazy trash. No opinions or bias here, mind you.

PS-Still in the hospital. Emotions abound.

Love you, Beth. Your sass has seen me thru more days than you can imagine.

Srsly, this book pissed me off. Also, how is your skin responding to its extended bath in petroleum? Are they gonna let you go home?

Wrote my review a while ago in the Books Forum:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=727

(KLD)

Oh damn! I remember a few threads about just that kind of situation. I believe most told her to find another client before getting involved with her current...hunk. Yup, very creepy.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Wrote my review a while ago in the Books Forum:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=727

(KLD)
    Thank you! I wonder about the general public and its appetite for cheap, phony emotion. Don't people have enough actual reasons to weep?

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Thank you! I wonder about the general public and its appetite for cheap, phony emotion. Don't people have enough actual reasons to weep?
    one would think... but there are some strange ppl in this world.

cmon! i want to know the ending seeing as i'll never read it
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I have to LOL @ plucky caregiver giving the dreamboat quad a new lease on life with what, Dragon Naturally Speaking? hahaha All it ever gave me was a pita. But then I had a shortage of sexy plucky caregivers...

Kate, have to wait and see about the skin. Turns out burn diagnoses are based on SENSATION. Yeah, it's kind of funny. Color me fucked. There is one puzzle piece I'm missing and that is its name-full sensation.