Thread: Indwelling foley catheter

Smile Indwelling foley catheter

Hello everyone!
    Ive been on indwelling foley cath since my accident last 1995. Ive been thinking about weaning it off. Do u think its still possible? Any success stories with the same case as mine? Ty

Indwelling foley catheter

I hope to get some advice from everyone here..
    I'm on foley cath for almost 16 yrs now. Today, I just came to a point wherein I would want to see myself without it. Do u think it is still possible for me to shift to intermittent instead?
    Hope to hear your side on this.. Thanks!

Hello Chie,

This is probably more of a nurse question but it is possible. I had a supra pubic catheter for 5 years. My urologist removed it and I started voiding naturally. A few years later I started intermittent cathing with no problems.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    Hello Chie,

This is probably more of a nurse question but it is possible. I had a supra pubic catheter for 5 years. My urologist removed it and I started voiding naturally. A few years later I started intermittent cathing with no problems.

Good luck.
    Thanks Millard!
    By the way, what level of injury are you?

Hello and welcome to the Care Cure Community.
    There have been several threads on this site about people taking out indwelling catheters and supra pubic catheters and going to intermittent catheterization after going through the process of "stretching out" their bladders to allow an adequate holding capacity. I would only do this under the supervision of a urologist who will perform tests to make sure the kidneys are protected from reflux.
    Have you talked to your urologist about your desire to be indwelling free?

All the best,
    GJ

With an indwelling catheter in the bladder is constantly deflating the bladder and the size of the bladder can shrink to the size of a walnut and walnut and it won't hold much which would make you leak all the time. Each person is different. Also, collagen can build around the bladder and it won't stretch, so it won't hold more. That is why we advise intermittent cath and not to use indwellings if you have hand function but each person is different and you should consult with a urologist.
    Anticholinergics or Botox can be tried to relax the bladder and the capacity and leak point pressure can be checked in urodynamics.
    But when we check people most of the time their leak point pressure and capacity is way to low after a year or two and the chance for leakage great.
    Bladder augmentation surgery where a part of the intesting is sewn on top of the bladder to enlarge is the option offered. It is major surgery.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by Chie View Post
    Thanks Millard!
    By the way, what level of injury are you?
    I am a C5-C6 incomplete quad.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

what are the negatives of a indwelling foley catheters. besides bladder infections?

Quote Originally Posted by wheel2 View Post
    what are the negatives of a indwelling foley catheters. besides bladder infections?
    It can cause cancer a doctor told me

Quote Originally Posted by wheel2 View Post
    The article sited below was written and posted by Dr. Young on Care Cure Community. The article entitled SUPRAPUBIC CYSTOSTOMY VS. URETHRAL CATHETERIZATION, discusses the pro and con issues of each method of bladder management.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...Suprapubic.htm

All the best,
    GJ