Thread: Stage 1 Pressure Sore? SCI Nurse please help

Stage 1 Pressure Sore? SCI Nurse please help

A friend of mines just discovered today that she has a red sore on her bottom. What are the best treatments for this type of sore? Would it be ok to spray it with Puracyn and then use a moisture barrier cream like Calmoseptine and then cover with gauze? Let me know thanks. She of course knows she needs to stay off of it as much as possible.
    Last edited by Jim; 04-03-2013 at 01:49 PM.

She needs to stay off of it totally. That means no siting up in chair or bed. Period!

I posted my experience with healing a stage one pressure injury a couple of weeks ago:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=219202

In this thread, I included a photo journal of the sore from the beginning to healing and getting back in the chair, about 12 days of bed rest with no pressure on the area at all. Since the skin is not broken in a stage one pressure sore, none of the typical suggestions for topical medication or bandaging apply. Keep all pressure off, keep the area clean and dry. Saturating the area with Puracyn may cause maceration of the skin which can cause further injury. When the sore starts to develop a scabby appearance, I moisturized the area with CeraVe moisturizing cream.

Before you get back up in the chair, it is necessary to figure out what may being going on with your cushion or positioning and fix the problem.

All the best,
    GJ

Yikes. It's important to check your skin every morning and every night. It only takes a few seconds to do and you can catch things before they develop into something worse.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Yikes. It's important to check your skin every morning and every night. It only takes a few seconds to do and you can catch things before they develop into something worse.
    Your right, regular inspection morning and night is important. The problem is that you can develop a stage one pressure injury during a short period of time, anywhere from a couple of hours to eight + hours of being up in the wheelchair (in less than a full day of sitting). That is why it is important to find out what caused the problem and correct it.

Have you had your seating pressure mapped and positioning checked recently?
    Are you doing enough weight shifts and pressure reliefs?

If you have a Roho cushion, is it adequately inflated? Have you been taught how to test for the best positioning and inflation? Do you have a leak that deflates the cushion during a day of sitting? If you have a Roho with a Flow Control, is it locked in the right position? Is the Flow Control working correctly?

If you have another type cushion, is it still providing the support you need? Support needs change with time and cushions wear out.

Is your chair set up with too much "dump?"

All the best,
    GJ

Everything above is correct.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Your right, regular inspection morning and night is important. The problem is that you can develop a stage one pressure injury during a short period of time, anywhere from a couple of hours to eight + hours of being up in the wheelchair (in less than a full day of sitting). That is why it is important to find out what caused the problem and correct it.

Yep, I know that. I know plenty of people that don't check their skin on a regular basis though.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash