Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which chair?

Banned

Which chair?

I am looking for a new manual chair and am hoping for a bit of feedback/advice.

My biggest requirement is that it pulls apart into small easily managed pieces to put in the car - trying to find something that doesn't have the standard L shape. I thought I'd found my solution with the marvel , but I seem to have missed that bandwagon.

Weight is also a feature but I'm willing to compromise a bit to get the small easy to pack in a car footwell size bits.

Am also looking at purchasing a pair of the morph foldable wheels.

I have 2 babies and 2 dogs that squish into the back of my car and can't fit my chair in the passenger seat beside me. Hence looking for something that is compact.
    I'm a t4-6 incomplete para, quite capable of pulling chairs apart etc good balance and some voluntary movement below injury level (not enough to walk)

If you know of a chair that might be out there or in development I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!!
    Nik

Maybe the ICON with quick release retrofitted to the front-end mount. PM Jeff Adams. He's the co-inventor, a member here, and the co-inventor of the Marvel (I think).

Here is ICON's YouTube channel. This specific video shows the component sizes.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You might be able to get a marvel used if thats your ideal chair. Used could mean actually used, or purchased and sat around in someones spare bedroom.

Are you in the US? That seems to be the majority of members. Theres a european brand progeo that has some chairs that break down quite small. Theres also a european quickie chair that isn't available in the us yet that gets pretty small. Its essentially L shaped but its a folder and the back folds down as well similar to the quickie revolution.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

These chairs are folders, and quite small PRO ACTIV folding-frame wheelchairs.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

+1 on the Icon, get the folding back.

You don't say what type of car you have, but wheels off and folded, an Icon should fit in the passenger seat.

I have two LARGE dogs and often transport two small kids in car seats. With one dog between the carseats and one dog in the cargo area, I still have room for a chair in the back in my wife's VW Jetta sport wagon. (I don't drive, so the passenger seat is full of me.) As a plus, the 90lb Golden between the seats keeps the kids occupied.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I think you over estimate how little room a cantilever chair takes up. I have a ZRA and a mini cooper. I can fit myself, two people and chair in the car. You will give up a lot if you optimize your wheelchair for minimal storage space, I would make sure you couldn't fit a proper ultra lightweight rigid chair into your car.

Also like people said look at the Icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Niknik23 View Post
    I am looking for a new manual chair and am hoping for a bit of feedback/advice.

My biggest requirement is that it pulls apart into small easily managed pieces to put in the car - trying to find something that doesn't have the standard L shape. I thought I'd found my solution with the marvel , but I seem to have missed that bandwagon.

Weight is also a feature but I'm willing to compromise a bit to get the small easy to pack in a car footwell size bits.

Am also looking at purchasing a pair of the morph foldable wheels.

I have 2 babies and 2 dogs that squish into the back of my car and can't fit my chair in the passenger seat beside me. Hence looking for something that is compact.
    I'm a t4-6 incomplete para, quite capable of pulling chairs apart etc good balance and some voluntary movement below injury level (not enough to walk)

If you know of a chair that might be out there or in development I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!!
    Nik

An L framed chair is going to take up the least amount of space. If you're looking for a small chair for portability sake then you should be more concerned about the frame measurements than the frame design. A 16"x16" Tilite ZR will have pretty similar overall measurements as a 16"x16" Quickie Q7, a 16"x16" ColoUrs whatever, etc.

For example, my seat depth should be about 16" but I'm in a 14"x14" chair because it's smaller. I just set my cushion forward an inch or so. A smaller seat-to-footrest measurement will also factor into a more compact chair. Go as short as you feasibly can.

Good luck with those Morph Wheels. Interesting design, but it looks a bit too much hassle for getting in and out of the car all day. I'd also worry about the reliability of so many moving parts. I was hoping they folded more compact than that - the volume seems to remain relatively unchanged.

Last edited by brian; 04-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.

And those wheels would mean you can only run solid tyres..

I concur with the above comments, a rigid cantilever frame with a folding back takes up very little space.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

I have a marvel and it has a smaller foot print than my Q7. And tilite I. My size is a smaller foot print than the Q7. Not all chairs are made the same. So I would highly suggest that you talk to your area rep on the manufactures you are looking at. Also maybe even see if ur dme can get a few different demos so you can compare them. Wheelchairs are just like shoes. I wear a size 6.5 in DCs but in Nike I wear a 5.5 and in Adidas I wear a 6. I find every manufacture of everything has its own standards. Wheelchairs are no different. Just my 2 pennies. Hope it helps.

By the way if you like the marvel I would contact Jeff of icon wheelchairs and see if they have a rep in your area that will let you demo one

If you're really that worried about size, you could probably get a folding ultralight with the option of a fold down back, like, say, the Tilite TX, a titanium folder which is supposed to have rigid frame performance, and is only 12.3 lbs transport weight for a 16x16 (minus accessories & rear wheels.) It has a fixed front end with the option of a (side to side rigid) platform flip up footrest which presumably translates to greater side to side rigidity when in use. In theory, it could also be loaded like a rigid if you didn't want to fold it up (its lower frame is recessed similar in appearance to a TR. It's a lot like a sort of folding TR style frame if that makes sense, vs the clunkier frame style of the 2gx, which looks like a folding version of the discontinued Ti Evo.)