Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which chair?

I think that Niknik23 needs to let others know if this is a primary everyday chair, or one they want to travel with easily. I think the requirements are very different.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Banned
    Thanks for some great feedback. To respond to some questions...

The chair I have currently is a quickie gt and the back folds down.
    My seat is a 16x16
    I drive a Subaru outback.
    I'm looking for a chair for everyday use.
    I'm not a thrill seeker (will jump off a curb only if no other option)
    I've always had solid tires.
    I'm in Australia.

One of my big problems is that I live in a regional outback town and don't have anyone to help me with choosing a chair. To demo or get some help I would have to travel 6 hours from home. My husband is handy with tools and I was figuring we'd originally set a new chair up similarly to the current chair and then correct from there.

Does anyone know anything about the mono one for all chair or the abletoenjoy Bfree?

Have had a look at the icon - how would I retrofit a quick release mount to the front end?
    Does anyone know of someone selling a marvel?

I will try and contact Jeff Adams.

It would seem that it's mostly the foot/leg/front extension that's bothering me...

Again thanks for the feedback so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Niknik23 View Post
    I'm in Australia.

One of my big problems is that I live in a regional outback town and don't have anyone to help me with choosing a chair. To demo or get some help I would have to travel 6 hours from home. My husband is handy with tools and I was figuring we'd originally set a new chair up similarly to the current chair and then correct from there.
    Welcome fellow Aussie! Which state?

My son has had an Icon for 9 months. I'm good with tools (although all you need are Allen keys for adjustments!). It took a bit of early effort to adjust it correctly for him initially (mostly my lack of experience, but also because my son was only 8 then, and we ended up using 22" wheels, which weren't an option when ordering, but they do work with the icon), but once dialled in the chair has been great. I've made a few posts on here about it, just search my username and icon.

One thing, if you use a freewheel, you will need to purchase a (non-Icon) footplate, as the freewheel will bend the Icon footplate as others on here have noted too.

Have had a look at the icon - how would I retrofit a quick release mount to the front end?
    Dead easy. You just order a couple of quick releases off the net, and they are as simple to fit as the standard fittings. That being said, we have recently changed back to the standard ones, as my son now uses a Firefly, and we found that the quick release fittings don't tighten up as much as the standard ones, so there was some slippage (which is not a problem unless you use a firefly, which effectively pulls the chair via the front extension).
    Whilst the front extension is very smooth and simple to adjust, if you actually pull it all apart, putting it back together needs both tubes to be perfectly aligned before the extension will slide back in. A bit fiddly, and whilst ok to do it once in a while, I wouldn't like to be doing it several times a day. (Just realised while writing this that if the tubes were slightly different lengths, it would make the insertion process less fiddly...so cutting down one of the tubes slightly would help).
    In terms of "how small does it get when disassembled?", we've put the entire chair on the overhead luggage rack of a train (without the wheels). I would think that is about as small as you can get!

I will try and contact Jeff Adams.

It would seem that it's mostly the foot/leg/front extension that's bothering
    Jeff is excellent, and always responsive to our requests.
    The front extension has more adjustment than most other chairs, so it should help you.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.