Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saudi paralysis sentence

Saudi paralysis sentence

I am speechless:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22010122

Amnesty 'outrage' at Saudi paralysis sentence

The law of retribution means the victim can demand his attacker suffers the same punishment as he caused

The reported sentencing of paralysis for a Saudi man as punishment for paralysing another man has been described as "outrageous" by a leading human rights group.

Saudi reports say the 24-year-old man could be paralysed from the waist down if he cannot pay his victim one million riyals (£250,000) in compensation.

Amnesty International says the sentence is a form of torture.

The man has been in prison for 10 years since he stabbed a friend in the back.

Saudi newspapers say Ali al-Khawahir was 14 when he paralysed his friend in the attack in the Eastern Province town of al-Ahsa.

The law of qisas, or retribution, in Saudi Arabia means his victim can demand that he suffers exactly the same punishment as he caused.

"Paralysing someone as punishment for a crime would be torture," said Ann Harrison, Middle East and North Africa deputy director at Amnesty.

"It is time the authorities in Saudi Arabia start respecting their international legal obligations and remove these terrible punishments from the law."

This is the latest example of Saudi Arabia's fundamentalist interpretation of Islamic law attracting international criticism.

Amnesty says the law has seen judicially approved eye-gougings and tooth extractions.

The rights group condemns the practice as tantamount to torture, urging that the latest punishment must not be enforced.

Amnesty's intervention will certainly fuel a growing debate in Saudi Arabia itself over its style of justice, says the BBC's Arab affairs editor, Sebastian Usher.

Hrm. I would have no problem with this being the law in the US under certain circumstances.

they are stoning and raping woman and flogging rape victims for sex outside marriage.

Not losing sleep over this one either. Though of course if this form of "justice" is overturned, then I am sure it will benefit many who are innocent.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

That is old news and the judge did not go through with it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

eye for an eye. i'm with t8 on this.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    That is old news and the judge did not go through with it.
    The story is dated today.

I actually read the story more closely and since the person was 14 when it happened I don't think this is just. However, if say a drunk driver paralyzes someone I wouldn't lose any sleep over the punishment being that they themselves are paralyzed.

Guess it could be another case? But this appeared on the internet site for Voice of America dated August 2010. None the less, for those of us who might not have seen this...

All the best,
    GJ

http://www.voanews.com/content/saudi...89/172266.html

Saudi Court Rejects Paralysis as Punishment
    Last updated on: August 22, 2010 8:00 PM

A Saudi court has rejected a request to sever a man's spinal cord as punishment for paralyzing another man in a fight two years ago. The High Court in Tabuk province Monday said 22-year-old Abdulaziz al-Mutairi should instead accept monetary compensation for his injuries.

Mutairi was paralyzed after his spinal cord was severed by a cleaver during the fight. He had requested that his attacker suffer the same fate.

Amnesty International had said earlier that the court approached several hospitals about the possibility of paralyzing the attacker in a medical setting. The international human rights group urged the state not to carry out such a penalty.

Saudi Arabia follows an austere version of Sunni Islam that includes floggings for some offenses, amputations for thieves, and public beheadings for crimes including murder, rape and drug smuggling.

Human rights activists say that while Islamic law stipulates like-for-like punishments, victims or their surviving family members can often be persuaded to forgive an assailant, sometimes in exchange for monetary compensation, called "blood money."

It is a sick form of punishment and failing to acknowledge it as such only perpetuates the Saudi repulsive civil/human rights violations. For example-Two years ago I was sexually assaulted by a male nurse while a patient in a local hospital. I have a strong desire to see that this person is punished and that he does not have the opportunity to harm another person. Having him raped would do absolutely nothing towards my desire for justice and prevention. Retribution would not heal me.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

I don't want another person paralyzed despite what they have done. Not one.

Last year in Iran a woman forgave the man who blinded her at the last minute as he was in the OR with a surgeon about to drop acid in one eye. Considering the almost epidemic use of acid to disfigure women in many parts of the world I think she should have let them. But a kid did this? hmmm
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.