Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tires

tires

why do my tires continuely lose air. there are relatively new,

my son aired them up last nite dang it was fun rolling around.

I have tubes in them to?

Are they both loosing air?

The easiest check is for loose valve stems. You'll need a valve stem tool. If you have a auto-type stems (aka Schrader), visit any auto parts place, and ask for their cheapest valve stem tool; they're really cheap: $1-2. Ask them how to use it; or better yet ask them to check your valve stems for you (I presume you'll have your chair with you )

If your valve stem is different than a car tire's, then you have Presta valves. I don't know how to work on them, but any bike shop will.

If it's not your valve stems, it's probably your tubes. Take your wheels to a bike shop, and have them check for leaks or change your tubes. Have them install good quality rim tape.

Attachment 49264
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

My tires loose air all the time as well. When my breaks slip more and more I know its time to pump them up, about once a week. My hand cycle tires need air about once a week as well. And no there are no leeks any ware its just the nature of having thin tubes I guess.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

How much pressure are you losing in 1 week? When you attach your pump, what pressure does it read?

Your tires will lose a bit of air in a week, but any more than a few psi and you probably have a small leak.

I am really disappointed with the tubes that came with Spinergys bought a few months ago for this EXACT description. Both tubes continually lose air. Even changed one. I need to put air in 1x/week. As far as I am concerned, they are garbage. Tires fines. Tubes suck.

If you've got a decent electric pump with a good clip on adaptor it's not a huge chore.

I fill my tyres to 150psi and over 2 weeks they'll be down to 100-110 ish. They are the tubes I got with the chair, they're pretty thin.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    How much pressure are you losing in 1 week? When you attach your pump, what pressure does it read?

Your tires will lose a bit of air in a week, but any more than a few psi and you probably have a small leak.
    Hand cycle tires go from 120 to about 105 or less in a week
    Wheel chair from 75 to about 60 in two weeks
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I have to air mine up every couple weeks as well! I think it's pretty normal.

I do it manual. It is just sickening needing do so often. My old chair had crap tubes. Only time ever need put air in them was when change tire.

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    If you've got a decent electric pump with a good clip on adaptor it's not a huge chore.

I fill my tyres to 150psi and over 2 weeks they'll be down to 100-110 ish. They are the tubes I got with the chair, they're pretty thin.

I highly recommend Schwalbe's tubes. I have had tires maintain pressure over the winter with no loss.

Failures are usually due to one of four reasons:
    •Puncture. Remove the tube from the tire carefully keeping track of a point on the tire is over a point on the tube. (I do this by always putting the recommended pressure number marked on the tire aligned with the valve stem.) Without losing your reference point, use a tub of water to find the leak. Carefully check the tire at that point and remove any foreign object stuck in the tire.
    •Wear on the inside of the tube from rubbing against the spoke holes. Use rim tape.
    •Improper installation, either stressing the valve stem or inflating the tube in such a way that part of the tube is pinched between the rim and the tire's bead. You can prevent this by putting the tire on starting at the valve stem and working away from there to the opposite side and by partially inflating the tube and working any kinks out before fully inflating the tire.
    •Stressing the valve stem during inflation. Don't. Just use a clean strait on and strait off, never twist or bend.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.