Thread: Xbmc & raspberry pi

Xbmc & raspberry pi

Anyone use these?
    ^^(A)^^

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    These are a bit mean with memory to run GNU/Linux distros.

Some one was trying to play videos on them at work and performance was not good. Swap to flash or NFS is not so good. Need to attach a USB rotating disc for swap and /var. USB 2.0 is good enough.

There is no such thing as light weight HTML 5 browser or player.

Make a 2D X11R4 XDMCP graphical terminal out of them?

Run non-graphical stuff on them?

Write your own light weight OS for them?

Check out hardware that can actually run router code.
    http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware

Quote Originally Posted by zagam View Post
    These are a bit mean with memory to run GNU/Linux distros.

Some one was trying to play videos on them at work and performance was not good. Swap to flash or NFS is not so good. Need to attach a USB rotating disc for swap and /var. USB 2.0 is good enough.

There is no such thing as light weight HTML 5 browser or player.

Make a 2D X11R4 XDMCP graphical terminal out of them?

Run non-graphical stuff on them?

Write your own light weight OS for them?

Check out hardware that can actually run router code.
    http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware
    Thank you for the outstanding info you know much more about this stuff than me. I was asking because I have been successful in setting up a few of these with XBMC media center to watch movies and TV. I also have XBMC running on a few windows computers.

The advantage I find with the Raspberry Pi is it has no fan and is a totally silent media center solution.
    ^^(A)^^

here you go

here you go,plenty of raspberry pi projects, and join the forums, i think lada ada has a Google hangout too for q and a. She does a lot . she was on the cover of popular mechanics or electronics, had a meeting with pres obama, or some interaction with him on a personal level. She is really cool.
    I think she will stop the bike theft problem in NYC with one of her designs. She already has a gps that is very small and can work in all the weak signal areas of Manhattan , including inside buildings.
    I see she has a led incapacatator, i better order that before cuomo outlaws it, and i lose another way to protect myself.
    Funny some people were exhibitting a super small gps with long life battery, they thought it would be great for tracking animals for research. A lot od the ny people stopping to talk to them mentioned it was the right size to hide on a bicycle. Everyone in NYC want to be abnle to lock up their bike with a chain and lock weighing less than the bike and come back and have the sub $500 bike still there .

here is the instructions for the xbmc and raspberry pi

lada ada
    cauda equina

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    I actually have an ARM box now, ARM like m68k seems to not need that much memory. (POWER uses a lot. AltiVec POWER builds are better.)

SDRAM uses lots of power this is probably why ARM dominate the mobile market. New Pi has more RAM so can run full distro.

I have moved on, I found the pi to be cumbersome, poor network signal and speed unless I use a cat5 and mini keyboards were hard to use. They are great little mini computers for lots of other projects but I am not impressed for running XBMC.

My .02
    ^^(A)^^