Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Cervical Disc Removal C5-6

Reply regarding Charles Tator

No it's not Dr. Charles Tator. it's Dr. Michael Cusimano. I have met Dr. Tator at Toronto Western Hospital at a Spinal Cord injury Seminar he gave back in 2007. He's a super nice guy. He's now retired from surgery, but I think he still sees patients.

I'll be seeing another Neuro Surg at Toronto Western Hospital this week, before I have to soon decide if I'm going to have to fly to British Columbia to get fused under Private health system.

about the swallowing

Quote Originally Posted by CraigO View Post
    Thanks lavenderthistle. So now I know it's normal.I think my soft palate was stretched a bit and will take time to heal. I hear you on the bread,Impossible. Chicken noodle soup is the only semi solid food I can eat with out a water chaser.
    My speaking voice came back to normal at 5 days. I am still working on my singing voice. Everything is out of wack in my thoat. I now have a titanium tone to my singing voice. Ha Ha ..

I had zero trouble speaking , and no trouble swallowing immediately after my surgery. I read that this is a frequent complication of pulling the trachea to the side during procedure.

I'm curious if you can feel the titanium plate when you swallow? Did u know MedTronic sells a resorbable plate for single level fusions that dissolves in 18 Months?

www.medcoforum.com/pdf.php?id=80

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuslv View Post
    No it's not Dr. Charles Tator. it's Dr. Michael Cusimano. I have met Dr. Tator at Toronto Western Hospital at a Spinal Cord injury Seminar he gave back in 2007. He's a super nice guy. He's now retired from surgery, but I think he still sees patients.

I'll be seeing another Neuro Surg at Toronto Western Hospital this week, before I have to soon decide if I'm going to have to fly to British Columbia to get fused under Private health system.
    Let me know if there's anything I can do to help if you choose the BC option

Marcus, I can feel something if I am leaning forward when I swallow. If I sit up straight I can hardly feel it. Those new plates from Med Tronic are slick. Thanks for the link.

Lavender, Thanks for that thread link to C.C.S. folks.

I just got a letter from my short term disability insurance and according to their records I will be ready to return to work on the 30th of this month. 3 weeks after surgery, WOW!, I heal fast! I guess they are going to have to come and pick me up cause the doc said I'm not to drive. I wonder if the saftey guy at work (I work construction) will allow a walker and a neck brace on site?!

Regarding the B.C. Option

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Hi Van Quaid,

I sent you a PM Message with my contact details.

Dr. Richard Chan, the most sought after Neuro Surg in B.C. looked at my MRI's, X-rays, and EMG scans has offered me an explanation and 2 level fusion (C5-6 and C6-7) but the only private Hospital in Vancouver area that he visits once a week is regulated by British Columbia Government to only perform procedures that require a maximum of 24 hours Hospital stay. So the New Westminster Surgical Centre regrettably turned me down.

As an Ontario Resident, I can only access the private system in B.C. and Dr. Chan has a 14 Month waiting list in the Private system. Neuro Surgeon wait times in Ontario are anywhere from 12-24 Month waiting lists. and unless you're in a car accident, the ER staff in the Hospitals hwere just send you home. Canadian Healthcare is falling apart and is total garbage.

To get into the USA I would need a USA entry waiver, and then expedite the process for a medical emergency which could still take Months.

SO that leaves me with: (and in this exact order)

A: a creative solution in B.C. with Dr. Chan
    B: a trip to South East Asia and Indo China to trust someone with my spine
    C: a purposefully created auto accident
    D: just sit and rot and get used to my new Walker/Rollator and forget about life as I once knew it and start praying and upping my meds
    Last edited by Marcuslv; 04-25-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Good News

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I just returned from Toronto western Hospital form Consult with Neuro Surgeon Dr. Ivan Radovanovic. He's determined me as an explantation and 2 level fusion candidate.

The process to getting treatment for my spreading Myelopathy has finally started and no need to fly out of Canada anymore.

Well that's great news because the other options just sounded bad!
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

It can't come soon enough for me cause my walking ability is deteriorating every Month.

Now I am down to short walks around the house between long rest periods.

My life is being completely eroded from this situation.

Marcus, (It will be alright when it gets better.) HA. Words of "Ronald P." a best friend that passed a few years ago. I'm glad you found someone to fix you up.

Thanx CraigO

I walked today outside unassisted for some OK distance in the park.

It's has good days and bad days. I need to walk as much as I can every day. I feel the burning in my legs after walking a couple of blocks. Just like finishing a heavy set of leg extensions and when you're on the last rep squeezing it out. That's the way my muscles feel after walking 100 meters.

It's hard to get used to cause 3 Months ago I was in athletic shape with horse-like power in my legs.

Just an afterthought... the wife and I were watching "Born on the 4th of July" last night and I had to stop in the middle of the film cause Tom Cruise's wheelchair depression performance was a little too close for comfort for me.