Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling the compliments

Hero, no. Survivor, yes. I just roll with the punches. To me heros are people who knowingly put their well-being or life in harms way to spare others from harm.

If I were a hero why didn't someone give me a medal or a plaque? lol If anyone deserves a medal it is my wife.

I wrote my autobiography for my family and friends to dispel the notion That I am a hero.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I just say "thank you" or "thanks" and keep moving along.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

When it seems condescending or less than sincere, I paraphrase a line from Jen's TED talk: "I even managed to get out of the house with matching socks today. What an inspiration!"

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

In the original "Bedazzled", with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, Dudley (as Stanley Moon) asks Cook (as the Devil) how come he left heaven.

Cook climbs up on a mail box and says, in effect, "dance around and adore me...tell me how great I am".

Moore does that for a few minutes..."you're so good, you're so great, sunsets are realy great...". Then he says, "Here, I'm getting bored with this...let's trade places". Cook says,"Exactly".

So, depending on my mood and the perceived sincereity of the person offering the compliment...that's usually my answer.

"Glad you think so...let's trade places".

Blog Entries
    When it comes to living with SCI, there are no heroes, not the afflicted, not the family or friends of, unless of course you were a bonafide son of a bitch (somehow I doubt Mr SCI55 has been anything other than a sweetheart since day 1). Am I a hero in the sense that those buried in Normandy are? No way. I was guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    In fact, should there be a need for volunteers to test a proposed cure therapy, and I pass it up in favor of remaining a bystander, well then I just may feel the opposite of "hero". Anyone that contributes to the elimination, and prevention of this horrible condition is good in my book.

[QUOTE=SCIfor55yrs.;1677649]Hero, no. Survivor, yes. I just roll with the punches. To me heros are people who knowingly put their well-being or life in harms way to spare others from harm.

If I were a hero why didn't someone give me a medal or a plaque? lol If anyone deserves a medal it is my wife.

I wrote my autobiography for my family and friends to dispel the notion That I am a hero.[/Q
    EXACTLY!! When I hear it I return with "just living my life and trusting in God"

it never gets old.....!! in Sam's today, the lady working at Sam's catches up to me going down the isle half way in the middle of the store, "Sir, Sir, didn't you know we have electric chairs at the door!!" I said, "mam, I've been in a chair for 25 years, I don't think I need an electric slow chair......!!" she of course says, "oh, I understand they are slow but I have a sister who's cousin has MS and I know exactly what you go thru in that chair.........!!" just can't make the crap up! after 25 years it still blow's my mind....

Problem? Why? Just reply with "yeah, I get that a lot, I am pretty damn impressive!"
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Blog Entries
    '"I think you'd surprise yourself. You only get one life. You'd live it as best you can.